B12 and acne

A place to get your questions answered from McDougall staff dietitian, Jeff Novick, MS, RDN.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

B12 and acne

Postby PamelaD » Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:57 pm

I have been eating on this program since Feb. 2020. I follow the program 100% with the exception of one cup of black coffee in the morning. I have discovered that when I take B12, I break out, particularly with cystic acne. I am 66 years old. I have experimented and it seems that the acne comes very soon after I take it, within a day or two. When I stop the B12, the acne calms down. I have been prone to cystic acne my whole life but I had it under control. It started to flare up again after starting to eat this way and take the B12. I haven't taken it every day though. I would have periods of time when I take it every day for a few days, then I stop taking it. I haven't been consistent with it. Right now, I have an acne cyst brewing on my chin and I just got over one on the other side of my chin. It was very angry and hurt badly and that's when I figured out it could be the B12. I started thinking back on the previous couple of months and realized that association with taking the B12 and the outbreaks. I had been taking it consistently the previous 3-4 days or so. So I stopped it a few days ago, and the cyst has calmed down some and is not throbbing anymore but it's still there. This is very disfiguring. So, my question is: what am I supposed to do? I need to take B12 because of my diet, don't I? Can I just not take it? I was taking the MyKind brand of B12 in the spray form. But I had taken another brand before that.
PamelaD

Re: B12 and acne

Postby JeffN » Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:14 pm

This may help...

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=60240

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Return to Jeff Novick, RD