Cholesterol Rising Over Time

A place to get your questions answered from McDougall staff dietitian, Jeff Novick, MS, RDN.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Cholesterol Rising Over Time

Postby draperbr » Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:51 pm

I know the forum isn't for personal medical questions, so I'm wondering if there could be an general causes of cholesterol rising over time on a WFPB diet. I consume no dietary cholesterol at all (nor do I consume any oil), nor have I for 2.5 years. However, while initially dropping when transitioning to a WFPB diet it has gone from 122 to 165 in about 9 months, which is somewhat alarming. And I don't think it's a one time test blip, as 4 months ago it was at 154 so it seems to be a steady rise.

I've read a ton about cholesterol in relation to a WFPB diet, and I've read a lot of anecdotes and discussions regarding cholesterol not lowering as hoped when someone transitions to a WFPB diet, but I can't find any information here or elsewhere about cholesterol lowering, but then rising again. Has anyone seen this? Any ideas of what could cause this type of phenomenon?
draperbr

Re: Cholesterol Rising Over Time

Postby JeffN » Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:07 pm

draperbr wrote:I know the forum isn't for personal medical questions, so I'm wondering if there could be an general causes of cholesterol rising over time on a WFPB diet. I consume no dietary cholesterol at all (nor do I consume any oil), nor have I for 2.5 years. However, while initially dropping when transitioning to a WFPB diet it has gone from 122 to 165 in about 9 months, which is somewhat alarming. And I don't think it's a one time test blip, as 4 months ago it was at 154 so it seems to be a steady rise.

First, as you can see, our biomarkers are not "static" but can fluctuate.

Second, cholesterol is only one marker and a cholesterol of 165 is still considered excellent (at least in my book and any of the books of the professionals I work with).

You can read about this here...

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=21177

However, you do have a trend that might be concerning if it continues.

Third, unintentional (or intentional) adherence issues.

While dietary cholesterol is an issue, saturated fat is a bigger issues as it will raise cholesterol more than dietary cholesterol. There are vegan foods that can be high in saturated fat and some that are moderate (some high fat plant foods) and some can be quite high (tropical oils and many vegan processed foods). In addition, if you are eating out, even In WFPB/Vegan restaurants, there is a good chance you may be getting more saturated fat than you think.

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=51725

All these might add up over time depending on intake levels.

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Re: Cholesterol Rising Over Time

Postby draperbr » Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:32 pm

Thanks Jeff. And I agree that my current cholesterol is nothing to be worried about, it's just the trend that has me concerned. I will obviously keep an eye on it over time. I just thought it was strange that as I began to eat healthier, and eventually went completely WFPB it trended down from a high of about 215, to a low of 122. But over the last 9 months it's trended back up. As I've never read about that happening before, I wondered if there could be something I was unaware of. Thanks for the links - good reads.

I can't claim I am 100% no oil, but I would say I'm 99.99%. I rarely go out to eat (less than once a month on average), and 80% of the time I end up getting a salad with no dressing (hence why I don't go out much - the food's not very good, haha). There is probably 2-3 times year that I will order something other than a salad, and while I try to make a healthy selection, I resign myself to the fact that there is surely some oil and sugar snuck in. I figure 2-3 meals a year probably isn't going to be what kills me.

Overall my health is excellent. I'm off all medications, and my biomarkers are good across the board. I was just really disappointed to see my cholesterol up another 11 points in the last 4 months (after having gone up 32 point over the preceding 5 months). I was hoping that 32 point blip was what you were describing - just a biomarker in flux).

Anyway, I'll just count my blessings, stick to the program, and soldier on.
draperbr

Return to Jeff Novick, RD