Regular program list

A place to get your questions answered from McDougall staff dietitian, Jeff Novick, MS, RDN.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Regular program list

Postby Lyndzie » Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:46 am

Jeff, I feel like I’ve seen this before, but can’t find it: where is the regular program guideline list (like the MWL one)?

Thanks!
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Re: Regular program list

Postby JeffN » Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:29 pm

Lyndzie wrote:Jeff, I feel like I’ve seen this before, but can’t find it: where is the regular program guideline list (like the MWL one)?

Thanks!
s

Here it is

https://us4.campaign-archive.com/?e=&u= ... 9a762f7fae

It’s the Food! A 10-Point Checklist for The McDougall Program
Jeff Novick, MS, RDN

1) Fill your plate so that 70 - 90% of your plate (by visual volume) is filled with minimally processed starches (brown rice, oats, sweet potato, quinoa).

2) Fill the remaining 10 - 30% of your plate with minimally processed fruits and non-starchy vegetables.

3) Eliminate all animal foods (i.e., dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood).

4) Eliminate the intake of fake meats and cheeses as most are highly processed, high fat and made with isolated proteins and oil.

5) Eliminate any added oil.

6) Limit your intake of all higher-fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy) unless you are trying to gain weight.

7) Limit added sugars and added salts. This also includes gourmet sugars and salts. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them.

8 ) Avoid liquid calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). When thirsty, drink water.

9) Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself.

10) Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of daily moderate exercise (i.e., brisk walking).

And here is the ones for the MWL for comparison

A 10-POINT CHECKLIST FOR MAXIMUM WEIGHT LOSS (MWL)

1) Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit.

2) Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for desert.

3) Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them.

4) Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood).

5) Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy).

6) Eliminate any added oil.

7) Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e. bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit.

8 ) Don’t drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages).

9) Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself.

10) Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking).

In Health,
Jeff
JeffN

Re: Regular program list

Postby Lyndzie » Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:54 pm

Thanks!
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Return to Jeff Novick, RD