Endothelial damage from high blood sugar

A place to get your questions answered from McDougall staff dietitian, Jeff Novick, MS, RDN.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Endothelial damage from high blood sugar

Postby Doug_ » Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:29 am

Jeff,

Most of my questions these days are about physiology...

Does the injury to endothelial cells due to high blood sugar occur simply due to any sugars in the blood stream in higher amounts? Or is it just fructose (and not necessarily glucose)? Do you know the mechanism for what is happening to cause the damage?

In addition, if you have another moment, the resources I've been able to see are not quite clear or in agreement about the following: What happens when someone eats too much or too much junk and causes their blood sugar to be too elevated for an unhealthy period of time. Can you share a reference I could rely on, or mention the basic ideas of just what such a state does to the tissues of the body that is bad?

Thank you!
Doug_

Re: Endothelial damage from high blood sugar

Postby JeffN » Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:31 am

I think it would be best if you address these questions to the very people making these claims for the support for their claims.

I have several long thread on sugar/fructose, etc which you may find of some value

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Re: Endothelial damage from high blood sugar

Postby Doug_ » Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:41 am

No problem. Will do.
Doug_

Return to Jeff Novick, RD