McDougall Diet and Kidney Disease

A place to get your questions answered from McDougall staff dietitian, Jeff Novick, MS, RDN.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

McDougall Diet and Kidney Disease

Postby joyfulmother » Thu Mar 20, 2008 7:58 am

I have Polycystic Kidney Disease. Could you tell me if it is okay for me to eat everything that the McDougall Diet offers?
-Becky
I received a kidney transplant in 2010 and am working hard to fully reclaim my health.

My Blog: Plant Proud
joyfulmother

Re: McDougall Diet and Kidney Disease

Postby JeffN » Thu Mar 20, 2008 10:32 am

joyfulmother wrote:I have Polycystic Kidney Disease. Could you tell me if it is okay for me to eat everything that the McDougall Diet offers?

Hi Becky

I don't know what you mean by everything. :)

However, it depends on what stage or where in the progression you are in. If you are just in the general stage, not only can you follow this program, it would most likely be the best thing you can do.

One important issue with PKD is keeping blood pressure under control, so not only will this program help but also be extra careful on the amount of sodium in foods. A good rule of thumb is that the sodium in mgs (per serving) should be no more than the calories, per serving. In addition, regular exercise will also help as will maintaining a healthy weight.

A second important issue is keeping protein levels low, but adequate. This program does that for you. You should be avoid not only high protein animal foods, but also high protein vegetable foods, like fake meats, soy protein, etc.

The only other main issues with kidney disease and diet arise when someone is in the later stages (end stage and/or dialysis) as there are some issues with limiting potassium in foods.

In Health
Jeff Novick, MS, RD
JeffN

Return to Jeff Novick, RD