Parents

A place to get your questions answered from McDougall staff dietitian, Jeff Novick, MS, RDN.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Parents

Postby Werner1950 » Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:47 am

Jeff, you mentioned your father was a butcher. Did your parents ever change their diets? Or is that getting too personal?
"An ounce of evidence is worth a pound of presumption"
Werner1950

Re: Parents

Postby JeffN » Wed Aug 19, 2020 12:23 pm

Werner1950 wrote:Jeff, you mentioned your father was a butcher. Did your parents ever change their diets? Or is that getting too personal?

To understand what my mom did, you have to understand what happened to my sister.

My sister changed soon after I did. She suffered from several allergies. They allergist said she was becoming allergic to herself. My parents spent a fortune and an enormous amount of time and energy trying to solve her problem. I recommended they let her just try the diet for 30 days. Everyone was so against it. So I said, just 30 days, she isn't going to die and what if it helps. Sure enough, 30 days later she was tremendously better. The doctor said it was a coincidence. Another 30 days and she was even better. She was convinced and ha eaten this way since (except for a few minor learning experiences).

Seeing this influenced my mother, who soon after also changed her diet. She is 86 and doing great. I posted on her recently, which you can read here...

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=61190&p=619167&#p619167

My father had 2 heart attacks over the course of a few days about 20 years ago. After the second one, they did a bypass on him. He said to me, I want your help. I told him, just eat like mom, my sister and me. We no longer have to make you special foods. As per Pritikin guidelines, my mom would serve him a very small little piece of chicken with his meals. He said it was more frustrating to have the little piece then none so he gave it up. He did this for about 5-6 years. Became like a poster child for it. Exercised every day, ate healthy, and all his numbers and his health dramatically improved. His cardiologist was impressed.

But, as I say, he lived in SE FL, where there are only 2 food groups amongst the elderly, dining out and dessert. So, he got tired of being the outcast and starting giving in. Of course, his health got worse and eventually was back on medications. Then some of his friends starting dying and he just didn't want to do it anymore. So, he ate what ever he wanted. He died from cancer about 12 years ago.

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Re: Parents

Postby Werner1950 » Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:53 am

Wow. Thank you for that..
"An ounce of evidence is worth a pound of presumption"
Werner1950

Return to Jeff Novick, RD