Natural Blood thinners

A place to get your questions answered from McDougall staff dietitian, Jeff Novick, MS, RDN.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Natural Blood thinners

Postby jmgoforth » Sat Mar 22, 2008 5:04 pm

My doctor wants me to go on a blood thinner. I want to do it naturally. I'm seriously over weight. I'm 62 but I exercise 4-5 days per week. I'm very optomistic about life.Any suggestions. I'm trying to loose weight. I will admit my doctor has me eating fish two times per week. Otherwise I eat egg whites 2 times per week and skim milk once in a while. Any suggestions and why? For example I only drink fat free milk and eat only egg whites.
Chaplain Mike
Phi 4:[13 Whatever I have, wherever I am, I can make it through anything in the One who makes me who I am.
jmgoforth

Blood Thinners

Postby jmgoforth » Sat Mar 22, 2008 5:08 pm

I forgot to say My blood pressure is hign and I have an irruglar heart beat.
Chaplain Mike
Phi 4:[13 Whatever I have, wherever I am, I can make it through anything in the One who makes me who I am.
jmgoforth

Re: Natural Blood thinners

Postby JeffN » Sun Mar 23, 2008 8:32 am

jmgoforth wrote:My doctor wants me to go on a blood thinner. I want to do it naturally. I'm seriously over weight. I'm 62 but I exercise 4-5 days per week. I'm very optomistic about life.Any suggestions. I'm trying to loose weight. I will admit my doctor has me eating fish two times per week. Otherwise I eat egg whites 2 times per week and skim milk once in a while. Any suggestions and why? For example I only drink fat free milk and eat only egg whites.
Chaplain Mike

Hi Mike

Without knowing more about your personal situation and medical/health issues, I can not make a direct comment.

However, over the years, many people have been able to completely avoid medications and surgery by adopting a diet and lifestyle like the one advocated here and at the website. Besides, healthy living is almost never contra-indicated.

I would be more concerned with someone focusing their attention on fresh fruits, veggies, starchy veggies, intact whole grains, and legumes in the unprocessed unrefined form and getting as much of that as right as they can, then any minor exceptions. Your health or lack of it, will be most determined by what you do most of the time. I am more interest in how many fruits, vegetables, starchy vegetables, intact whole grains and legumes you or anyone else, consumes in a day, then whether or not they occasionally have a serving of non fat dairy or eggwhite.

If you have not read the recommended books, or the material at the website, I would recommend you begin there and start incorporating the principles and recommendations.

In Health
Jeff Novick, MS, RD
JeffN

Return to Jeff Novick, RD