sugar free barbeque sauce !

A place to get your questions answered from McDougall staff dietitian, Jeff Novick, MS, RDN.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

sugar free barbeque sauce !

Postby landog » Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:47 pm

My wife brings this home:

We can believe the front of the bottle, right? :-D

Ingredients

What's this allulose stuff?

All u lose ??

Hey, it's kosher!

I was wondering if this would be a product you'd recommend.

Thanks
-dog
landog

Re: sugar free barbeque sauce !

Postby JeffN » Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:10 am

In regard to condiments, I would only *recommend* a condiment that meets my guidelines.

For those who can't find one that meets the guidelines, I would say, find the best one you can (or make your own) and make sure you minimize its use it as a condiment.

Allulose is a new sugar in the marketplace which is said to have no calories or impact on blood sugar and insulin.

As of now, it is not allowed for sale in Europe and in Canada where it is undergoing pre-market safety evaluation before they will allow its use/sale. In the USA, because it is new, it is on the GRAS (generally recognized as safe) list and is not counted as sugar by the FDA so they get to say, "no sugar added." It is included in the total carb count. Here is what they FDA says,

"Because it is absorbed and metabolized differently from other sugars, FDA has exempted allulose from the listing of total and added sugars on the Nutrition and Supplement Facts labels, but requires the labeling of 0.4kcal/g as carbohydrate."

And as we have seen with other low (or no) calorie sweeteners, there are some unpleasant side effects..

"Due to its effect of causing incomplete absorption of carbohydrates from the gastrointestinal tract, and subsequent fermentation of these carbohydrates by intestinal bacteria, allulose can result in unpleasant symptoms such as flatulence, abdominal discomfort, and diarrhea."

While the sugar is being listed as only 1 gram, (and the jury is out on Allulose), it is quite high in salt with a ratio of 24/1

I think you can do better

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Return to Jeff Novick, RD