Are you "ever" going to redo your lectures?

A place to get your questions answered from McDougall staff dietitian, Jeff Novick, MS, RDN.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Are you "ever" going to redo your lectures?

Postby Wendy Jane » Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:45 pm

Some time ago I asked this question, and you weren't planning on redoing your lectures if I remember correctly. I do believe I have them all. My absolute favorite is the one where you tell folks how to read labels. To this day I STILL go grocery shopping with a calculator and magnifying glass!!

I'm asking because I'm sure there is updated information that you could tell folks. I've been able to find your lectures "used" but in good shape. I don't hang onto them long as I keep finding folks who need the information. And I'm reluctant to loan mine out as I'm afraid I won't get them back!

Just the other day I had a conversation with friends. One recently turned vegan and was raving about some canned soup she'd just purchased and said it was delicious. The fact that this soup was "processed" was a red flag to begin with. Well, I went to the store, found the soup she raved about and discovered quickly it WASN'T vegan. (in the ingredient list it had palm oil, egg whites and skin milk powder.) Also it had 900 milligrams of sodium per serving. A serving size? One cup.

So if you're ever considering redoing your lectures, well, I'd purchase a whole "new" set. Just to let you know.
Wendy Jane

Re: Are you "ever" going to redo your lectures?

Postby JeffN » Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:56 pm

Wendy Jane wrote:Some time ago I asked this question, and you weren't planning on redoing your lectures if I remember correctly. I do believe I have them all. My absolute favorite is the one where you tell folks how to read labels. To this day I STILL go grocery shopping with a calculator and magnifying glass!!

I'm asking because I'm sure there is updated information that you could tell folks. I've been able to find your lectures "used" but in good shape. I don't hang onto them long as I keep finding folks who need the information. And I'm reluctant to loan mine out as I'm afraid I won't get them back!

Just the other day I had a conversation with friends. One recently turned vegan and was raving about some canned soup she'd just purchased and said it was delicious. The fact that this soup was "processed" was a red flag to begin with. Well, I went to the store, found the soup she raved about and discovered quickly it WASN'T vegan. (in the ingredient list it had palm oil, egg whites and skin milk powder.) Also it had 900 milligrams of sodium per serving. A serving size? One cup.

So if you're ever considering redoing your lectures, well, I'd purchase a whole "new" set. Just to let you know.

Thanks. Good question.

While the framework states the same, I redo my lectures all the time. They are constantly updated with the latest relevant studies and data, just like many of my posts here. Many of the post I started here in 2008 have been updated all along and remain current.

In regard to the label reading, I am always updating it with current relevant products I just updated the whole talk because the new label was officially released in January. The same information can be found in the forums in the thread called, "My Guidelines For Evaluating The New Nutrition Facts Label." While I used to focus more on general health foods, showing how unhealthy they are, the main focus now is all the WFPB/Vegan food that is prompted as healthy and is really Premium CRAP! :). I've posted a few examples in the forums.

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=52156

The original nutrition DVD's became outdated and it is why I stopped selling them. The cooking series is still relevant. The real issue is, will I be making more DVD's and I my answer is probably no. What I might do, is stream some of the new versions of the talks at my website (which I am working on). I don't know yet.

Thank you

Jeff
JeffN

Re: Are you "ever" going to redo your lectures?

Postby Wendy Jane » Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:23 pm

Hey, the link with the "new" labels was JUST what I needed!! Thanks.
Wendy Jane

Return to Jeff Novick, RD