Best method for strengthening bones?

A place to get your questions answered from McDougall staff dietitian, Jeff Novick, MS, RDN.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Best method for strengthening bones?

Postby human vegetable » Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:55 pm

Dear Jeff: Even though exercise is not your main area of expertise, I hope you are still willing to dispense some advice on this: What is the best method for osteoporosis prevention?

The general recommendation seems to be that strength training is the most effective measure, yet there is no consensus on the specific training parameters that are to be employed:

On the one hand, there's the idea that in order to have best results, it is necessary to expose the bones to multiple times bodyweight axial loading - this would mean doing either plyometric exercises or using very high resistance. For several years, a kind of "bio hack" of this kind has been offered by a chain of gyms called "Osteostrong": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eaoDswLQKjw

On the other hand, there's the theory that it's the muscles which signal the bones to grow, and in order to trigger this signal it basically suffices to push them near failure, almost regardless of the degree of resistance they are exposed to. That would mean that also lighter training (e. g. calisthenics drills such as free squats or tabletop pushups) could be effective, as long as all sets are taken to near failure. There is also some questioning going on whether the concept put forward by Osteostrong is truly legit, and not just mere marketing hype: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3C2QY5Rogs

Both theories seem somewhat convincing to me, and both are probably somewhat effective. But since both concepts are almost contradictory, I would really like to know whether at this point there is one that seems clearly superior according to the current state of knowledge.

Can you shed some light on this? Your input would be greatly appreciated!
human vegetable

Re: Best method for strengthening bones?

Postby JeffN » Wed May 26, 2021 10:15 am

First - Sorry, but I do not give out advice.

Second - It is important that we get the diet right. This includes making sure you are not including foods that may increase calcium excretion (high protein, high PRAL, high salt) and are including an adequate intake of the related nutrients (calcium, protein, magnesium, boron, etc) through our food choices.

Third - Get the activity and exercise correct. One things exercise actually does, is play an important role in bone density. This would include weight bearing aerobic exercise and also resistance training. There is a full thread on my recommendations. One of my favorite Mass Media books that has stood the test of time on the topic is Strong Women/Strong Bones, which is for everyone, not just women, and can be found on the internet. She has been published several times on her program (the name is different now) over the years.

Fourth - Make sure one gets enough sunshine so their levels of Vitamin D are where we recommend.

Fifth - Understand the problems with DEXA testing/scores and the supplements that are often recommended.

All of this is explained in detail in my forum. A simple search on Osteoporosis and my user name turns up all of it. The following are a good start.

Calcium, Vitamin D, DEXA, BMD, Osteoporosis & You.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=44463

In Health
Jeff. :)
JeffN

Re: Best method for strengthening bones?

Postby human vegetable » Wed Jun 02, 2021 4:41 am

Dear Jeff, thanks a lot. I will check out the links you have provided, and the book you have referenced.
human vegetable

Return to Jeff Novick, RD