Nutrition and Food Ratios (i.e. 5-to-1 Fibre Ratio)

A place to get your questions answered from McDougall staff dietitian, Jeff Novick, MS, RDN.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Nutrition and Food Ratios (i.e. 5-to-1 Fibre Ratio)

Postby KDO » Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:03 pm

Hello Everyone,

I'm curious to learn from you all about the relationship between different nutrients.
My goal: To be able to compare different families of foods to maximize my nutrition.

Context: I came across Michael Greger's video on 5-to-1 rule for Fibre which was a good ratio for processed foods/grain products.

This reminded me of some of Jeff's nutritional label information from years ago where he mentions some great ratios for food products such as the fat ratio (<2.5g per 100 calories), or sodium (1mg per 1 calorie).

It's been quite a few years since then, so I'm curious if Jeff has had any updates to those metrics, but more than that I am curious to learn from other experts and knowledgable people such as yourself on the relationship between different nutrients and great food ratios.

For example, could comparing a food's fibre and sugar ratio be a good metric? I think so, especially for me as a diabetic, to know how my body and blood sugars will react.

Looking forward to hearing from you!
KDO

Return to Jeff Novick, RD