Low LDL cholesterol levels are linked increased death risk

A place to get your questions answered from McDougall staff dietitian, Jeff Novick, MS, RDN.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Low LDL cholesterol levels are linked increased death risk

Postby RusticBohemian » Fri Nov 12, 2021 3:38 pm

Do you view this as falling into the camp of I'll believe it when I see it replicated a few times? Or do you think it's not important? My LDL level of 69 mg/dl eating a Mcdgouall diet, considered healthy normally, actually place me at an increased risk of death by this study's results.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-021-01738-w

"For decades, the high level of low-density lipoprotein cholesterol (LDL-C) has been considered as the main cause of the development and death of atherosclerotic cardiovascular diseases1. A large number of studies have strongly shown that the reduction of plasma LDL-C concentration by lipid-lowering drugs is related to the greater reduction of the development and mortality of cardiovascular diseases2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9.

However, many studies have found the opposite result to previous studies on cardiovascular diseases, and LDL-C level is negatively correlated with all-cause mortality of patients10,11.

Conclusion:
In a nationally representative sample of US, low LDL-C level was found to be associated with higher risk of all-cause mortality after adjusting for confounding factors, such as age, sex, race, marital status, education level, smoking status, BMI, hypertension, diabetes, cardiovascular disease, cancer. There is a U-shaped relationship between LDL-C level and all-cause mortality. Compared with the middle LDL-C level, the lower LDL-C level and the higher LDL-C level, may have higher all-cause mortality. Further studies are warranted to determine the causal relationship between LDL-C level and all-cause mortality."
RusticBohemian

Re: Low LDL cholesterol levels are linked increased death ri

Postby JeffN » Sat Nov 13, 2021 1:19 pm

Stay the course

https://www.bmj.com/content/371/bmj.m4266

BTW, you may want to start measuring your APO-B level as it is turning out to be the best predictor

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Return to Jeff Novick, RD