Cronometer settings

A place to get your questions answered from McDougall staff dietitian, Jeff Novick, MS, RDN.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Cronometer settings

Postby ETeSelle » Sun Dec 05, 2021 4:59 pm

Hi Jeff--Can you tell us where you set the fat and protein requirements on the Cronometer? I'm using it with great effect, but have mostly just been ignoring those 2 (and the carbs, LOL) b/c the Cronometer is always telling me I need more fat and protein and less carbs. Would like to adjust it so it's more appropriate. So I guessed, but I figure you are a better source for that!

Thanks!
Elizabeth
Weight now: 124 (20.0 BMI)
Weight in 2010: 207 (33.4 BMI)
Star McDougaller Story
Testimonial thread

Trust me on this: One day you'll wake up and realize that it no longer feels like "being strict." It just feels GOOD. :)
ETeSelle

Re: Cronometer settings

Postby JeffN » Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:26 pm

Thanks.

Good to see you back.

>>>>Can you tell us where you set the fat and protein requirements on the Cronometer?

Sure.

For the protein, I just let it default to the RDA which for women, should be about 45 grams/day. Of you can do .8 grams/kg ideal body weight.

For the fat, there are a few items I recommend looking at.

1) Saturated fat. I set it to 5% of my average calories. You may need to put that in as a gram number. So just take 5% of your calories and divide by 9 and you will get the upper range for saturated fat. The main concern is getting in too much.

2) For omega 3's I set it at the Adequate Intake which is 1.1 for women. The main concern is not getting in enough.

3) For omega 6, I just set it at 4x the the omega 3. The RDA is higher but I think keeping it 2-4x the omega 3 is plenty. I have some posts on why.

Dion't get caught up in the minutia as you should be meeting most of these without having to track anything. Remember most of these numbers (AI, RDA, DRI, etc) are not set in stone but based on averages of populations over time and have buffers built in.

Let me know if you have any other concerns.

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby ETeSelle » Tue Dec 07, 2021 2:51 pm

Thanks, Jeff! :-)
Elizabeth
Star McDougaller Story
Testimonial thread

Trust me on this: One day you'll wake up and realize that it no longer feels like "being strict." It just feels GOOD. :)
ETeSelle

Postby ETeSelle » Tue Dec 07, 2021 3:19 pm

One more question: calcium. I take a calcium supplement b/c I was just nowhere near getting enough, but it's only 500 mg and I am still usually well under the Cronometer's set target (1200 mg). Is that the right amount? I eat leafy greens some but not every single day. Should I be concerned? Should I up my supplement? Is the Cronometer's estimate too high?

Thanks!
Elizabeth
Star McDougaller Story
Testimonial thread

ETeSelle

Postby JeffN » Tue Dec 07, 2021 3:48 pm

Sure,

Checkout this link and the one in it.

https://www.drmcdougallforums.com/viewt ... 4&#p371597

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby ETeSelle » Thu Dec 09, 2021 9:40 am

Thanks! That was helpful. :-)
Elizabeth
Star McDougaller Story
Testimonial thread

ETeSelle

Return to Jeff Novick, RD