being told to eat animal protein

A place to get your questions answered from McDougall staff dietitian, Jeff Novick, MS, RDN.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

being told to eat animal protein

Postby lionandlamb » Wed Jul 27, 2022 9:40 am

I am 2 years NED follicular lymphoma. With the aim of avoiding relapse and also progression of low level MDS mutation, I have joined Care Oncology Clinic and am using their "starve cancer" protocol of 4 off-label cancer starving drugs.

A "deep dive" from COC+ and special blood tests, they are telling me:

- to add animal protein due to evidence of protein malnutrition with low total protein, low RBC and high MCH. My total protein is within normal range at 6.5

- Do a low carb diet due to insulin resistance, high HOMA-IR, high Trig/HLD ratio, high Trig-Glucose index and elevated LDH. My fasting glucose and fasting insulin test are within normal range, so is my LDH.

They say their benchmarks are higher in the context of cancer.

I am not buying them telling me to eat animals ... but is it possible that people do need animal protein in the context of treating cancer metabolically? Everyone has a bias it seems ...
"In their behavior toward creatures, all men are Nazis. Human beings see oppression vividly when they're the victims. Otherwise they victimize blindly and without a thought." Isaac Bashevis Singer, author, Nobel Prize 1978
lionandlamb

Re: being told to eat animal protein

Postby JeffN » Wed Jul 27, 2022 10:33 am

I would recommend asking them for the evidence for their claims and recommendations. It is the least they should provide

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby lionandlamb » Wed Jul 27, 2022 5:02 pm

JeffN wrote:I would recommend asking them for the evidence for their claims and recommendations. It is the least they should provide

In Health
Jeff

Thank you, I will but doubt I will get anything substantive. Except for the 4 drugs that are hard to get any doctor to prescribe if you don't have the traditional ailments for them, COC IS A RACKET. It's $925 onboarding fee and $330 every 3 months bloodwork and 30 min. with some doctor who is just going through the motions, another $330 for COC+ -- well maybe I am in the easy position for them of being NED, I don't know. But it seems pretty mickey-mouse. They also sort of bait and switched me by telling me at the beginning that my being a vegan wasn't a problem. Then I get this report telling me to eat animal products. I'm pretty disgusted. Only in it for access to the drugs.
"In their behavior toward creatures, all men are Nazis. Human beings see oppression vividly when they're the victims. Otherwise they victimize blindly and without a thought." Isaac Bashevis Singer, author, Nobel Prize 1978
lionandlamb

Postby lionandlamb » Wed Jul 27, 2022 5:04 pm

Also, if protein/glutamine is one of cancer's feeding pathways, why would it be advised to increase it?
lionandlamb

Postby JeffN » Wed Jul 27, 2022 5:24 pm

lionandlamb wrote:Also, if protein/glutamine is one of cancer's feeding pathways, why would it be advised to increase it?

Same answer

Jeff
JeffN

Return to Jeff Novick, RD