Plateau

A place to get your questions answered from McDougall staff dietitian, Jeff Novick, MS, RDN.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Plateau

Postby ebony2021 » Fri Feb 10, 2023 7:36 pm

I have 200 lbs to lose. I began eating the Starch Solution woe in mid-January of this year. Initially I lost 15 pounds in about 2 weeks. But for the last couple of weeks I haven't lost an ounce. I am eating a 50/50 plate for lunch and Dinner. For breakfast I have a half cup (dry before cooking) of oatmeal with a cup of frozen blueberries. and for my two snacks I alternate between a small pear and a large Navel orange. Out of curiosity I checked out my caloric intake on myfitness pal and I'm averaging between 825-1,000 calories a day. Am I not eating enough, or too much?
ebony2021

Re: Plateau

Postby VeggieSue » Sun Feb 12, 2023 10:57 am

Edited to add - Sorry, Jeff. Didn't realize this was your forum.

It's your body getting used to this new way of eating, especially all the extra fiber you're now putting into it.

It would help to see a list of all the foods you're eating , so please, tell us what you eat and drink, perhaps a 3 day list. Are you following the regular McDougall Plan, the one that allows nut butters, tofu, avocado, flour products, and other higher calorie foods or the Maximum Weight Loss version? Calorie count, but the *type* of calories counts even more.
Last edited by VeggieSue on Sat Feb 18, 2023 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
VeggieSue

Postby ebony2021 » Sun Feb 12, 2023 11:16 am

I pretty much eat the same things each day.

Breakfast: I eat 1/2 cup (dry before cooking) rolled oats with 1 cup of frozen blueberries.

Snack: small pear

Lunch: either a sweet potato or a white potato with steamed broccoli, or asparagus or other green, or yellow veggie.

Snack: Large Navel orange

Dinner: Another potato Leafy greens along with a green, or yellow veggie.

All of my food must be cooked soft as I am having dental issues and cannot chew crunchy, or most raw veggies. So a large salad is out. Although I will snack on Vine ripened Tomatoes and English cucumber slices. This probably doesn't sound like a lot of food. I am diabetic and for some unknown reason (around the time I started taking Metformin) I lost the ability to feel hunger pains about 20 years ago. I used to feel bloated and full all of the time and generally only ate one large meal a day of primarily junk food (think pizza and Chinese take out). I don't feel as bloated these days. But I still feel full all of the time. So eating more food than this doesn't appeal to me.
ebony2021

Postby ebony2021 » Sun Feb 12, 2023 11:25 am

I forgot. I also drink close to a gallon of Water along with flavored sparkling Bubly brand water. So there is no sugar. And I usually have a cup or two or mostly herbal tea (unsweetened). Though sometimes I'll drink a caffeinated tea. I got mildly frustrated with the lack of weight loss and this week I fell off the wagon. Didn't gain any weight back. Thank goodness. But I'm back on track with the starch solution. I try to do a 50/50 plate.
ebony2021

Postby ebony2021 » Mon Feb 13, 2023 11:59 am

Good news Veggie Sue, Got on the scale this morning and I have lost five more pounds! :-D So I guess you were right. My body just had to adjust.
ebony2021

Return to Jeff Novick, RD