Advice on how to proceed...

A place to get your questions answered from McDougall staff dietitian, Jeff Novick, MS, RDN.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Advice on how to proceed...

Postby EmmetFitzhume » Mon May 01, 2023 3:22 pm

I really healed up my diabetes once using Dr. McDougall's books. Here is an A1C history...

Mcdougall srict adherence...
6/14/2011 - 8.1
8/16/2011 - 7
10/25/2012 - 5.5 (weight 160/ BP 110/70) Star Mcdougalling!

Falling off the wagon in spectacular fashion...
3/3/2016 - 7
8/30/2018 - 9.5
9/30/2019 - 9.8
5/11/2021 - 10.3

Labs from today after Mcdougall strict adherence for last 6 weeks:
A1C 9.0
Fasting blood sugar 160
triglycerides 267
cholesterol 167
Blood pressure at home is still something like 138/80
Lost about 8 pounds but current weight 193 - so a good way to go...

All other labs are in normal ranges... Kidney function fine. EGFR 112.

I got no labs right before I started the program again. I finally got panicked about my health. Definitely want to be around for my kids and other things... Part of the stress that led to falling off the bandwagon and not taking care of myself was having two kids in that timeframe. I have an almost 5 year old and a 3 year old.

I suspect my A1C before restarting the program was at MINIMUM 10.3 but likely higher (11/12?) since that 10.3 was labwork from 2 years ago. I've never taken any medications for diabetes.

[b]The actual question...[/b]

So I suppose the question is... Does this seem like decent progress for 6 weeks or am I so damaged we can't expect the program to heal me completely again? Should I continue the way I am going without taking oral medications like metformin? Would this warrant insulin at this point? Or keep up the good work and get new labs in 6-8 weeks?

Dr. Mcdougall mentioned berberine for cholesterol lowering. Many seem to think it will also reduce blood sugar perhaps I should add in berberine while I continue the program?

Any advice would be appreciated. I suspect my primary care will at least want to dump some metformin in to increase my progress.... I won't let her treat my blood pressure.
EmmetFitzhume

Return to Jeff Novick, RD