Sincere question from Keto-er and binge eater

A place to get your questions answered from McDougall staff dietitian, Jeff Novick, MS, RDN.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Sincere question from Keto-er and binge eater

Postby mikekmcguire » Thu May 11, 2023 11:31 pm

Hello Jeff,

I've been reading about the McDougall diet (as well as other WFPB approaches) for many years, most of those years while weighing about 430 pounds. Due to my fear of a high BMI during COVID, I was able to lose that weight, down to a current weight of 145 pounds (male, 5' 8", 56 years old), which I've maintained within 15 pounds for the past year. The weight loss was achieved on a lower carb diet (though not keto, as defined as 20g carb/net-carb) with moderate exercise as my physical condition improved. When I began to have issues with binge eating, I adopted a more rigorous keto diet, having read that it might assist in this regard. For the past few months, this seems to have been the case.

However …

I know all of this is apropos of nothing, but throughout all of my reading and research, I've always held you in the highest regard. Out of the many authorities, you hold a special place in my estimation -- hence this direct question: what is your recommendation on how best to evaluate a switch to either a Mediterranean diet or a WFPB (whether McDougall or another)? There are so many conflicting voices that I'm unsure of who to trust.

I do, however, trust you. I know that probably seems a strange statement, since we've never met, but the way that you present information and your general attitude towards people (respectful but earnest, and unwilling to compromise on the science).

I'm at sea, adrift. Could you point a fellow traveler toward shore, or provide him with a set of maps and compass to reckon by?

Thank you, if you respond. And if not, thank you anyway, for all of the intelligence and sincerity you have shown over the years.

Michael
Mike

mikekmcguire

Re: Sincere question from Keto-er and binge eater

Postby JeffN » Tue May 30, 2023 11:29 am

Thank you

mikekmcguire wrote: what is your recommendation on how best to evaluate a switch to either a Mediterranean diet or a WFPB (whether McDougall or another)? There are so many conflicting voices that I'm unsure of who to trust.

I am not sure what you are asking.

Regardless, there are signs and symptoms of health just as there are ill health and body weight is only one of those.

If you feel what you are doing is working for you, then more power to you. But I would be curious as to how you define "working for you."

Have you had a full physical? Have you had bloodwork done? These signs and symptoms are all signposts letting us know how well we are doing, or not.

mikekmcguire wrote:I'm at sea, adrift. Could you point a fellow traveler toward shore, or provide him with a set of maps and compass to reckon by?

I think that is what I have done in this forum over the last 15 years. :)

mikekmcguire wrote:Thank you, if you respond. And if not, thank you anyway, for all of the intelligence and sincerity you have shown over the years.

Michael

Thank you for your kind words.
Jeff
JeffN

Return to Jeff Novick, RD