Physical and blood work disconcerting

A place to get your questions answered from McDougall staff dietitian, Jeff Novick, MS, RDN.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Physical and blood work disconcerting

Postby Beezy » Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:03 am

Hi Jeff

I hope I'm not asking questions that have already been covered. I don't have the time to really research the site. I have been on the regular McDougall diet for 3 months. My total cholesterol, I'm happy to say, dropped from 217 to 179; HDL from 69 to 41; LDL from 129 to 100; triglycerides from 93 to 191. My doctor also increased my Synthroid. I am deficient in Vitamin D, and she has increased it to 3000 iu per day. I also lost a quarter of an inch in height and lost 7.5% bone density in the hip. I am 56 and postmenopausal. I also have hypertension and use an estradiol patch. I know I need more exercise. Besides that, is there some way I should be tweeking my diet to help with some of these problems? I eat probably too many potatoes and sweet potatoes, but I do try to eat at least one big salad per day. I eat oatmeal with an apple and maple syrup for breakfast. I've been eating beets recently. I eat 2 pieces of fruit per day, and I recently added a handful of almonds. Otherwise, it's the usual McDougall recipes with beans, rice, and a little pasta.

I really appreciate your time and expertise.
Beezy

Re: Physical and blood work disconcerting

Postby Nettie » Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:32 am

Beezy wrote: I have been on the regular McDougall diet for 3 months. My total cholesterol, I'm happy to say, dropped from 217 to 179; HDL from 69 to 41; LDL from 129 to 100; triglycerides from 93 to 191. My doctor also increased my Synthroid. I am deficient in Vitamin D, and she has increased it to 3000 iu per day. I also lost a quarter of an inch in height and lost 7.5% bone density in the hip. I am 56 and postmenopausal.

Beezy, I have been a strict McDougaller for 18 months, and I just recently got my total cholesterol below 199 for the first time to 175. I'm convinced that the Synthroid has been keeping my cholesterol elevated. We dropped my Synthroid a little 3 months ago, and that seemed to help bring down my blood work. It's been very frustrating not having those wonderful sub-150 cholesterol readings when I've been so faithful to the McDougall Program for so long.

I'm not sure why your Synthroid would be increased. I've dropped mine over 50%, but, then, I've lost a lot of weight, too, and no longer need as much. I've found the McDougall Program seems to really benefit my thyroid function.

If you're losing height and bone density it may be because of the Synthroid, which causes osteoporosis. You've really got to do some exercise like walking or some other weight-bearing exercise to combat this.

You're probably ok with the potato consumption. I eat a lot of them myself, although I avoid pasta, especially if it's not whole-grain. Keep up the good work!

Nettie
Nettie

Postby Suebee » Thu Apr 03, 2008 12:14 pm

Being deficient in Vitamin D will certainly affect your bones! So I say take that supplement for now and once your levels are normal, you can drop it to 1,000 units. Yes, Synthroid will negatively affect your bones but it won't raise cholesterol, just the opposite. Dr. McDougall places some patients with high cholesterol on low doses to bring down their cholesterol. I would start eating more green vegetables for the folic acid and calcium--like kale and collards in addition to a green salad. Fruit is good for the bones. Exercise will bring down your triglycerides. Ok, this is my opinion. Jeff will add some things I'm sure but until he does, I know how anxiously you are awaiting some kind of response. Hope I am not stepping on toes here. :-D
Suebee

Postby Beezy » Thu Apr 03, 2008 12:44 pm

Thank you Nettie and Suebee for your advice and support. I will get back on the treadmill (since I can't be out in the sun much because of the estradiol) and eat more green vegetables.
Beezy

Return to Jeff Novick, RD