How much sodium is "too much"?

A place to get your questions answered from McDougall staff dietitian, Jeff Novick, MS, RDN.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

How much sodium is "too much"?

Postby courage » Tue Apr 08, 2008 6:40 pm

Dear Dr.Jeff,

what is the actual recommended amount of sodium per day (if possible in grams, but I can transfer ounces in an online calculator)?

I have absolutely no idea, if this is a few grains or several spoons or if salt is recommended at all, except being a seasoning in dishes :?
McDougall (more or less) since 08 April 2008, due to permanent life threatening health issues, which seem to get better on a plant based diet.
"More or less" = huge problem with sweets and chocolate, throwing me back on the way again and again :-(
courage

Re: How much sodium is "too much"?

Postby JeffN » Tue Apr 08, 2008 6:48 pm

courage wrote:Dear Dr.Jeff,

what is the actual recommended amount of sodium per day (if possible in grams, but I can transfer ounces in an online calculator)?

I have absolutely no idea, if this is a few grains or several spoons or if salt is recommended at all, except being a seasoning in dishes :?

Hi,

The minimum required is estimated to be around 115 mgs per day and we know the Yanomamo Indians survive on less than 200 mgs per day without any adverse effects from this low level. The 10th RDAs set the recommended safe minimum at 500 mgs per day.

The Institute of Medicine, set the recommended intake at 1200-1500 mgs per day for healthy adults without hypertension. They also set the Upper Limit, or the maximum daily intake at 2300 mgs.

A tsp of table salt is 2200 mgs. A tsp of sea salt is around 2000 mgs.

The average American takes in around 4000-5000 mgs a day and a recent study in showed similar intake levels in a Danish population.

These are general recommendations and may need to be lower depending on health/medical issues.

You can read some more of my comments on this topic here

http://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5966

In Health
Jeff
Last edited by JeffN on Tue Apr 08, 2008 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JeffN

Postby courage » Tue Apr 08, 2008 6:56 pm

Thank you for the quick answer :-)

I was certainly always using too much salt! I was wondering if it would be better for me to cut out all salt at the moment, and season solely with onion powder, pepper and herbs and similar. I am just so addicted to salty foods sometimes :-(
McDougall (more or less) since 08 April 2008, due to permanent life threatening health issues, which seem to get better on a plant based diet.
"More or less" = huge problem with sweets and chocolate, throwing me back on the way again and again :-(
courage

Postby Suebee » Wed Apr 09, 2008 6:53 am

If you are addicted to obviously salty foods, you might have an incentive to stop this bad behavior if you know that every time you do it, you are weakening your bones! It causes calcium loss in the urine when you eat that way. I only remind you because I care. :) And I'm too prone to do it too with popcorn. :(
Suebee

Postby courage » Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:24 pm

Calcium loss?! Help :-(

I surely need to watch all the salt. I feel so bad after eating only slightly too big amounts (low fever, nausea, even sometimes kidney pains). So far I try to season with onions. Chili and pepper may not be so good too? I like hot spices, but I think if my body is sick they are not recommended.
courage

Return to Jeff Novick, RD