osteo prevention and calcium supplements

A place to get your questions answered from McDougall staff dietitian, Jeff Novick, MS, RDN.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

osteo prevention and calcium supplements

Postby Melinda » Wed Apr 09, 2008 11:12 am

Jeff, my husband and I have been eating vegetarian for 18 years, (lots of veggies, and whole grains, but also too much veg junk food also). We recently became vegan, and have cut out a lot of junk food. My husband finally gave up dairy and coffee because osteoporosis seems to run in his family. His Mom had very severe osteo for years, while always eating a well-balanced SAD diet; by that, I mean she never ate fast food, made her own whole grain breads, loved fruits and veggies, and walked daily all of her life. She was a very small woman, though, and the docs found that the cortisol levels were very high in her blood. My husband's sister has already been diagnosed with osteoporosis in her late 50's. She has recently begun Mcdougalling. She has always eaten a similar diet to her mother, but she was diagnosed with chronic fatigue syndrome about 20+ years ago. So there seems to be more of a familial connection unrelated just to diet. Anyway, after reading advice on this forum, I said he should quit taking calcium supplements, which he has. So my question to you is what is your advice about all of this? Am I right in saying that he shouldn't take calcium supplements? He does walk daily, and will likely take up lifting weights soon, as he is quite serious about this - he does not want to end up like his Mom, who really suffered with her osteo.
Melinda

Re: osteo prevention and calcium supplements

Postby JeffN » Wed Apr 09, 2008 11:36 am

Melinda wrote:Jeff, my husband and I have been eating vegetarian for 18 years, (lots of veggies, and whole grains, but also too much veg junk food also). We recently became vegan, and have cut out a lot of junk food. My husband finally gave up dairy and coffee because osteoporosis seems to run in his family. His Mom had very severe osteo for years, while always eating a well-balanced SAD diet; by that, I mean she never ate fast food, made her own whole grain breads, loved fruits and veggies, and walked daily all of her life. She was a very small woman, though, and the docs found that the cortisol levels were very high in her blood. My husband's sister has already been diagnosed with osteoporosis in her late 50's. She has recently begun Mcdougalling. She has always eaten a similar diet to her mother, but she was diagnosed with chronic fatigue syndrome about 20+ years ago. So there seems to be more of a familial connection unrelated just to diet. Anyway, after reading advice on this forum, I said he should quit taking calcium supplements, which he has. So my question to you is what is your advice about all of this? Am I right in saying that he shouldn't take calcium supplements? He does walk daily, and will likely take up lifting weights soon, as he is quite serious about this - he does not want to end up like his Mom, who really suffered with her osteo.

Hi Melinda

Welcome!

While I can not respond directly to your husbands situation, I can respond in general.

Osteoporosis is a complex disease that has many contributing factors. There are those that influence calcium intake and absorptions and those than influence calcium excretion and loss.

Adequate calcium intake is important, as is adequate intake of Vit D, magnesium, boron, Vit K and many other nutrients. Some evidence suggests that Vit D and Vit K may be as much if not more important then calcium in reducing fracture rates.

A whole foods plant based diet, such as this, can adequately provide all these nutrients. The best source of Vit D is the sun.

Weight bearing exercise is important as is resistance exercise to maintaining bone health. No matter how good a diet we provide, astronauts in zero gravity lose bone mass.

I am not a fan of the BMD testing as the DEXA machine may not be giving accurate results. The formulas and results it gives are isolated pictures of small isolated areas of the bone and based on the averages of an unhealthy population. It leaves out many factors that would be important in the equation. In addition, it has been shown that the results do not accurately reflect true bone strength and are also biased against certain body sizes, mostly shorter and/or thinner people.

In regard to calcium need, the US recommendations are high to compensate for the excess animal protein intake and the excess sodium intake, which may be the most important one. And our sedentary lifestyles and poor sources of calcium. The calcium in green leafy veggies has twice the absorption rate as the calcium in dairy products. Studies have shown that if we were to reduce salt and animal protein intake,and adjust for these other factors, the amount of calcium needed may be only 50% if not 33% of the RDA. Which, by the way, it is in many other cultures that have little if any osteoporosis.

In addition, calcium intake over 1500 mgs in men has been associated with an increased risk of prostate cancer.

Having said all that..

I recommend people consume the healthiest diet possible based on whole plant foods and lots of green leafies. Dramatically reduce or eliminate the amount of animal protein and sodium in the diet and ensure adequate weight bearing and resistance exercise and sunshine.

I see no reason to take a supplement (outside of B12 for a vegan) unless a specific health/medical concern could be documented and no other solution was appropriate. This situation does happen, but should be the last resort and not the first.

In Health
Jef

JeffN

Postby Melinda » Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:55 pm

Thanks Jeff!
Melinda

Return to Jeff Novick, RD