BetterNPeanut Butter

A place to get your questions answered from McDougall staff dietitian, Jeff Novick, MS, RDN.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

BetterNPeanut Butter

Postby janisphilbin » Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:15 am

Jeff,

Just wondering what you think of this product for those watching their weight?

http://www.betternpeanutbutter.com/

JP
janisphilbin

Postby Carol » Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:33 am

Can you include the list of ingredients as well as the nutrition label??? Since nuts are high in fat and this is lower (than crushed peanuts), it must be a processed food product.

Remember food label reading 101.....never EVER believe what's on the front of a label. :)

And if it's not crushed peanuts, kinda makes ya wonder what it is!
Carol

nutrition details

Postby janisphilbin » Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:47 am

If you look under "specs" it lists fat cal, etc. The ingredient list is:

Ingredients: Peanuts (as de-fatted peanut flour and natural peanut butter), tapioca syrup, pure water, dehydrated cane juice, rice syrup, vegetable glycerin, soy flour, salt, tapioca starch, natural flavors, paprika & annatto, calcium carbonate, lecithin, vitamins e & c (antioxidants).

Yeah, I know it is processed, but wondering if it would be a better diet alternative if one "had to have" some peanut butter. Ha!

JP
janisphilbin

Postby JeffN » Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:49 am

Thanks for the link.

It is a highly processed and refined, calorie dense product. While the label indicates it is lower in fat then peanut butter, and a low sodium variety is available, it is still full of refined and processed peanuts, and many added refined sugars and still very calorie dense. In other words, C.R.A.P. (Calorie Rich and Processed).

While this product has managed to lower the calorie density of typical peanut butter from around 2700 calories/pound to about 1400 calories per pound, this is still very high in calorie density.

It is not a product I would recommend and beleive it is products like this that do more to confuse people and keep them heavy then to help in people achieving their health goals. All of their claims are irrelevant as they do not address the main concerns with why people have weight issues.

Follow the guidelines for the MWL program. If you wanted to add in some nuts/seeds/or peanut butter, use the real thing and keep it to small amounts. And, if you do, make sure you consume them as part of, or with other foods that are very low in calorie density so you are less likely to overeat on them.

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Thanks

Postby janisphilbin » Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:06 am

Thanks Jeff, I knew it was too good to be true. :(
The chocolate/peanut butter version sure caught my eye though. Ha!

JP
janisphilbin

powdered peanut butter

Postby janisphilbin » Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:56 pm

I don't suppose you like the powdered "PB2 peanut butter" either? The oil is somehow squeezed out. There is some added sugar and salt but that's it. Here are the "facts"... www.bellplantation.com/

PB2 Powdered Peanut Butter
Nutritional Values
Serving size = 2 tablespoons (12 grams)

Servings Per Container: 16

Calories 54.138
Fat Calories 25.44
Total Fat 2.84g
Saturated Fat 0.55g
Cholesterol 0g
Sodium 94.4mg
Carbs 3.7g
Dietary Fiber 0.3g
Sugars 1g
Protein 4.3g

You can tell I'm really craving peanut butter today and am determined to find a way to eat it! Ha!

JP
janisphilbin

Re: powdered peanut butter

Postby JeffN » Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:16 pm

janisphilbin wrote:You can tell I'm really craving peanut butter today and am determined to find a way to eat it! Ha!JP

1) Make sure it is 100% pure with no added salt, sugar or oil

2) open the jar

3) take out 2 TB

4) put in mouth, chew slowly allowing it to linger in your mouth while you savor and enjoy it, then swallow

5) throw jay in incinerator or place in a locked cabinet and hide the key till next week.

:)

Actually, take the 2 TB, and add water in small amounts and stir till it get much thinner like a "sauce". The slice up 1-2 apples and some celery sticks and some carrots. Dip the apples, celery and carrots in the PB sauce.

The problem with this as with most calorie dense foods, is that is extremely difficult for most people to stop at this amount and before they know it, they have eaten half, if not the full jar.

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

PB2

Postby janisphilbin » Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:31 pm

That's funny Jeff! I guess I better just stay away from the Supermarket today!

JP
janisphilbin

Postby Quiet Heather » Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:34 pm

I sometimes indulge in a peanut butter sandwich, but I'm not overweight nor do I have any health problems, ymmv. Anyway, what I do is buy the all natural peanut butter and let it sit for a while until the oil rises to the top. Then I pour off as much of the oil as I can and stir it up. It's thicker that way, so it's a little bit difficult to stir, but it's a lot less messy and has less fat. I don't know how much less fat, but it's got to be a little bit better than the "real" thing.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w1MwQ22/]
[img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/w1MwQ22/weight.png[/img]
[/url]
Quiet Heather

Postby Donna R » Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:37 pm

I think that's the stuff I tried at a friend's house and it sure doesn't taste better than peanut butter! which I have had in a quite a while!
~ Donna
Donna R

Postby boardn10 » Sat Apr 12, 2008 9:12 am

I think I would rather just eat raw or roasted, all natural peanut butter or almond butter once in a while. Nothing but nuts...
boardn10

Postby Donna R » Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:02 am

what I meant in my post is I've tried the BetterNPeanut Butter and didn't much like it. it's not like the real stuff. which I have not had in quite a while.
~ Donna
Donna R

Postby susie » Sun Apr 13, 2008 12:42 am

I am a real pb fanatic and I buy a 375 gram jar of natural peanut butter, which states 100% peanuts and ration it for the entire month. This is 12.5 grams per day. Mostly I use it in stews and sauces. Sometimes if my halo is shinning brightly, I miss several months on end. However I do stick to my guns and if I eat more at a time I wait until the month is up before I buy more. Slowly I am getting better at missing months.
susie

Return to Jeff Novick, RD