Dangers of Garden of Life soil organisms?

A place to get your questions answered from McDougall staff dietitian, Jeff Novick, MS, RDN.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Dangers of Garden of Life soil organisms?

Postby Suebee » Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:38 am

Jeff, you seem able to find out just about anything, so I posing this question to you: have you heard or read anything about the dangers of taking this much touted product? The author of this product claims that due to the fact that we eat "clean" garden produce, we are no longer ingesting the beneficial "soil organisms" that we used to consume. This is BEYOND probiotics which I think are safe. Seems like I came across something recently that said these soil organisms might not be safe. I know I am coming to someone who doesn't like to recommend supplements. Ok, but still I like to know the other side. I don't take this stuff myself but I know of others who do, including one reader on this site who is quite ill (I won't name him).
Suebee

Re: Dangers of Garden of Life soil organisms?

Postby JeffN » Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:14 am

Hi Sue

Suebee wrote: have you heard or read anything about the dangers of taking this much touted product? The author of this product claims that due to the fact that we eat "clean" garden produce, we are no longer ingesting the beneficial "soil organisms" that we used to consume. This is BEYOND probiotics which I think are safe. Seems like I came across something recently that said these soil organisms might not be safe. I know I am coming to someone who doesn't like to recommend supplements.

I am not against the use of supplements. In fact, insist than anyone following a vegan diet take a B12. And, for many, Vit D may be necessary. I have many patients/clients who use supplements but they are all for very specific reasons and they are aware of the potential benefit and the potential harm.

My motto is simple. Food First. Supplements (if necessary) Second.

Most of the time, if we take care of the food properly, we eliminate most any need for the supplements.

And, as I have said, my position is that there should be some good evidence for anything we do, whether it is a food, a diet, a herb, a medicine, a supplement, a treatment, or anything. We should also be aware of the potential harm and/or side effects.

Due to the lack of regulation in this industry, these products can came out by the 1000s every day and make virtually any claim they want. So, it is impossible for anyone to keep up with all of these products and all of these claims. But, we don't have to. The burden of proof is not really on us to disprove everyone of them and all their claims but the real burden of proof is on them to substantiate their products and their claims. And, if they get shut down for one product, they just rearrange a few things and come right back out with a new product.

in addition, extra-ordinary claims require extra-ordinary proof.

The burden is on them, not me.

However, the product you are referring to is a pro-biotic. These do have some value and they also have some concerns. If you would like, I can review both of them for you but the comments will be in general to probiotics and not this specific product because as of yet, there is nothing out there good or bad about this specific product.

While they are recommended these days for everything, in general, pro-biotics do have value if someone is undergoing or recently undergone anti-biotic therapy as the antibiotics will kill of many of the beneficial organisms. There are some other conditions where they may have some value and some concerns.

The human body actually makes all the good bacteria it needs if you supply the proper environment and food for them. And, that just happens to be the foods recommended on this program. These healthy bacteria love and live off of the digestive byproducts of the fiber from plant foods, especially beans, fruits and others.

Again, if you want, I am happy to review this information with you.

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby Suebee » Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:31 am

Thanks Jeff for clarifying your position on these things. No, I won't pursue this particular product further but if the person I know who is taking this stuff sees this, they might ask you to look into it for them. At least I put out a red flag for him. Yes, I take probiotics on the advice of my own internist who knows my health condition. It's good to know I don't have to take them all the time. I recently had a serious infection under my thumbnail by getting stabbed by the sharp petals of a persimmon. (Sounds like it came to get me, doesn't it? :-D ) Well the thumb was swollen, red, very painful. I had to take Cipro to get rid of the infection. Then I took the probiotics. However, now I have a damaged joint and don't know what to do about that! It won't bend well; sometimes it locks in place, etc. My doctor called it tendonitis. She just gave me a gel to put on it and said maybe it would need surgery to "release" the tendon. I'm no fan of surgery and in this case, fear it would cause further trouble. Anything else I could do to speed the healing? Ever heard of this problem?
Suebee

Postby boardn10 » Sat Apr 12, 2008 9:33 am

Funny Jeff, that Body Ecology diet said the bad bacteria loves fruit and fruit should be avoided when starting the diet. What a joke that was. :-( :)

Thanks for all the info Jeff! I also did some reading on how fruit and veggies help to produce prebiotics.....or that they are prebiotics? Not sure.

A bigger concern for me is an alkaline environment. Since I have MGUS, i am at a higher risk for cancer.
boardn10

Postby JeffN » Sat Apr 12, 2008 9:39 am

boardn10 wrote:Funny Jeff, that Body Ecology diet said the bad bacteria loves fruit and fruit should be avoided when starting the diet. What a joke that was. :-( :)

Thanks for all the info Jeff! I also did some reading on how fruit and veggies help to produce prebiotics.....or that they are prebiotics? Not sure.

A bigger concern for me is an alkaline environment. Since I have MGUS, i am at a higher risk for cancer.

I thought you put the book down!

The program recommended here is already the most alkaline diet you can follow.

It is also the healthiest.

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby boardn10 » Sat Apr 12, 2008 12:39 pm

I did put the book down. I was just mentioning something I read in the book. :)
boardn10

Return to Jeff Novick, RD