Trader Joe's Organic fruit spreads?

A place to get your questions answered from McDougall staff dietitian, Jeff Novick, MS, RDN.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Trader Joe's Organic fruit spreads?

Postby boardn10 » Sun Apr 13, 2008 6:23 pm

Hey all, I have been using Trader Joe's fruit spreads on sprouted grain bread. Are these okay?

Blueberry:
Serving size: 1 Tbsp
Calories: 30
Fat: 0
Sodium: 0
Carb: 8g
Sugar: 8g
Protein: 0

Organic Blueberries, Organic Grape Juice Concentrate, Fruit Pectin, Ascorbic Acid, Citric Acid.

Thanks!
Rich
boardn10

Re: Trader Joe's Organic fruit spreads?

Postby JeffN » Sun Apr 13, 2008 7:01 pm

boardn10 wrote:Hey all, I have been using Trader Joe's fruit spreads on sprouted grain bread. Are these okay?

Blueberry:
Serving size: 1 Tbsp
Calories: 30
Fat: 0
Sodium: 0
Carb: 8g
Sugar: 8g
Protein: 0

Organic Blueberries, Organic Grape Juice Concentrate, Fruit Pectin, Ascorbic Acid, Citric Acid.

The best way to think of these foods is the same way you would think of dried fruit, as in essence that is what they are like, as they have the same calorie density of many dried fruits.

So, if weight and calories are a concern, and you choose to use them, don't overdo them, as you can easily over eat on these.

Putting them on another calorie dense food (i.e. bread, crackers) would probably not be the best way. If I was to use them, I would use them on sliced fruit, or veggies and or as a "condiment" mixed into some oatmeal, or on some baked apples.

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby boardn10 » Sun Apr 13, 2008 9:33 pm

Yes, I see what you mena and I can eat a lot of prunes as well! LOL.

Mixing with cereal is a great idea such as oatmeal. Thanks!

I am surprised you said not on bread. I only eat bread sparingly and it is usually sprouted wheat.
boardn10

Return to Jeff Novick, RD