Family that doesn't follow McDougall

Share your experience, challenges and success implementing the McDougall program with family and children.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Family that doesn't follow McDougall

Postby louie3084 » Sun Aug 08, 2021 3:54 pm

I'm 57kgs and feel like I could still lose 2-3kgs if I just stuck to the MWL.

My struggles are that I have three children and a husband who don't eat this way. So I have a bit of temptation in the house. If you have any strategies for avoiding putting them in my mouth that would be great

:-)
louie3084

Re: Family that doesn't follow McDougall

Postby Daydream » Mon Aug 09, 2021 5:54 pm

I am 65 now but I wish with all my heart that I had discovered Dr. McDougall when I was raising our 3 kids, who are all grown up now. I have always done all of the marketing and all of the cooking for our family when our kids were growing up (and still do today). If I could go back in time and do it over, I would buy and cook only McDougall approved food for my family. I was so stupid back then and I wish I had known better! When I was young, I thought chicken, fish and low-fat dairy were healthy. :oops:

Twelve years ago when I first read The Starch Solution by Dr. McDougall, it all clicked and I realized how important the McDougall diet is for our health. After that book I read Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease followed by The China Study. There was no going back ever after reading those 3 books. I encouraged my sister to read those 3 books and told her how important I thought they were. Unfortunately she never read them and five years ago her husband died suddenly one night of a heart attack in their bed! He had never been sick and no one knew he had heart disease. I feel certain that if he had known that he was going to have a fatal heart attack, he would have changed his lifestyle. Many people have a heart attack that doesn't kill them and they then have the choice to change their diet/lifestyle to improve their health but my sister's husband will never have that chance. Therefore, I feel strongly enough about this that I would buy and cook only McDougall approved food for my family. I would sit my husband down and explain it all to him, I'd encourage him to read The Starch Solution and I would tell him I'm only buying/cooking McDougall approved recipes out of my love for my family. As time goes on, I think your husband and children will learn to love the food you prepare. If your husband doesn't want to eat the food you cook, he can go to the store to buy and cook what he wants for himself. Today I still do all the marketing and cooking for my husband and I and my husband appreciates it.
Daydream

Re: Family that doesn't follow McDougall

Postby Matcha » Wed Dec 07, 2022 12:33 pm

I had my kids put their snacks in clear combination lock boxes.
Matcha

Return to Family and Children