Vitamin B12 Supplement for Children

Share your experience, challenges and success implementing the McDougall program with family and children.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Vitamin B12 Supplement for Children

Postby jill2517 » Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:48 pm

I am looking for a vitamin B12 supplement that is safe to give to my 4 year old son. So far I haven't had any luck finding a B12 supplement that is specifically for kids. I don't want to give him a multi-vitamin or any other vitamins...just B12. I've read that the recommended dose for children is 5 mcg daily, but all I can find is B12 supplements for adults that are 500 mcg or higher. Any recommendations or advice would be greatly appreciated!
jill2517

Re: Vitamin B12 Supplement for Children

Postby vegnLC » Mon Dec 08, 2014 4:16 pm

So glad you asked this! I logged on to seek advice on giving my 23 month old b12. I found some liquid drops at Whole Foods that I thought about adding to her water or a meal, but somewhere on the label it had an age restriction that made me put the product back on the shelf.

Currently my daughter gets b12 from fortified cereals and from her fortified soy milk, but I'm not sure if the amount she is getting adds up to an adequate intake. I've read that you can't "overdose" b12 so I'd rather find a supplement that is safe for her age and size (about 27 lbs currently) and add that to her intake.

So, if anyone with knowledge or experience can recommend something, please comment as well if you know of a product that is suitable for toddlers. Thanks!
vegnLC

Postby PacificGreen » Fri Jul 22, 2022 12:07 pm

We're several years late to the conversation, but my wife and I have the very same question. Our 22-month-old is no longer breastfeeding, so we need to find a suitable B12 source. Liquid supplements are sublingual, and there's not a chance our daughter is going to hold them in place for 30 seconds. Can she get enough B12 from simply ingesting them? I am surprised to find that in 2022 there is still basically nothing on the market specifically for small children.
PacificGreen

Postby michaelswarm » Tue Jul 26, 2022 1:30 pm

My kids are 6, 7 and 9, and I have not worried about it overly much. I found some flavored ones once, and gave the kids their vitamins once a week after cutting their finger nails. When I couldn’t find those any more, I just disappear regular ones into a smoothie.
michaelswarm

Return to Family and Children