lunch box "treats"?

Share your experience, challenges and success implementing the McDougall program with family and children.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

lunch box "treats"?

Postby debable » Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:06 am

Do anybody have any ideas for healthy"treats" for little kids lunch boxes. My 7 year old was very upset because all the other kids had treats/dessert in their lunch and he had fruit. recipe links would be great. Thank-you.

Thank you Dr. McDougall for this forum :D
Some people dream about success......Others wake up and work hard at
it.
debable

Re: lunch box "treats"?

Postby lamazemama » Sun Sep 05, 2010 11:25 am

We love this cake. I usually make it in a glass pan but you could make it in muffin tins.

It is delicious!

http://happyherbivore.com/recipe/apple- ... ffee-cake/
Lisa, mom of 3 great boys
lamazemama

Postby debable » Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:03 pm

Thanks for the recipes everyone. :D I will go shopping today and try some of these recipes.

My kids and husband eat a much healthier version of SAD because my husband is unwilling to give up his meat.I am hoping in time......... But my sons lunches are already being scrutinized by the other kids and called yucky, because of the fruit and vegetables. He just says "this is my lunch and I like it" but he would like to have a treat so his lunches look more like the other kids.
Some people dream about success......Others wake up and work hard at
it.
debable

Postby VeggieSue » Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:12 pm

debable wrote:Do anybody have any ideas for healthy"treats" for little kids lunch boxes.

Look over the goodies Jennifer packs for her son in her blog Vegan Lunch Box:

http://veganlunchbox.blogspot.com/

Lots of fruit, yes, but other goodies, too. Last I remember she and her family were doing Fuhrman's program so everything there is safe as far as McDougalling for kids goes. You can find the recipes for many of her menus at her recipe blog:

http://shmooedfood.blogspot.com/

And if you prefer things in paper form, she does have 2 books out, too. :)
VeggieSue

Postby veggielou » Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:41 pm

Some things that might have the other kids oohing and ah ha-ing about, stuffed dates. stuff with coconut, ground nuts, vegan chocolate chips etc. Could use other dried fruits, peaches, apricots, figs. Just a thought. Generaly kids can get away with the extra calories.
veggielou

Postby janluvs2heel » Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:31 am

I caught a minute of GMA this am & they had this lady on who was talking about more healthier choices for kids. One of the "treats" was similar to rice krispie treats, but it was cereal, peanut butter & honey. I am sure you can get the recipe or find about it on GMA website.
There were some other things, too, for lunchboxes, a pita stuffed with chicken, but it was mixed with hummus instead of mayo & a few other things. But you could make your own hummus, mix it with all the veggies, etc. Some other stuff that you could adapt. I think she wrote a book about it, but not sure. As I said, I just saw the last bit of it.

Jan
janluvs2heel

Postby lfwfv » Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:47 pm

Hi,

I developed these granola bars for my husband to take to work. They're made exclusively with fresh fruit, rolled oats, and spices. He loves them and prefers them to Nature Valley and other bought treats now!

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=17214
lfwfv

Postby merriweather » Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:31 pm

Get some cute cookie cutters. Anything cut in an animal shape is fun with kids. Can be a sweet treat or not.
They have a big box of cutters at Wal Mart, cars, dinos and all the rest.
I used to take my sons pbj sandwich cut a teddy bear carefully in center. It was a puzzel sandwich.
Love is never wasted
merriweather

Postby lamazemama » Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:02 pm

Great suggestions here! Thanks.
Lisa, mom of 3 great boys
lamazemama

Return to Family and Children