Gaining Weight

Share your experience, challenges and success implementing the McDougall program with family and children.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Gaining Weight

Postby David Lux » Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:36 pm

Hi Debbie,

If your daughter has cold after cold, be aware that it could be due to a vit D deficiency, which could be indirectly caused by your low supply. You didn't mention vit D in the tests made so maybe it's something to look at. We are chronically deficient unless we supplement and we take 50000 UI per week for an adult. For our 5yo daughter (37 lb), we give a quarter of the dose, so 25000 UI every second week. For a baby, you would presumably even reduce the dose, but you could give a single dose and see if it helps. If she's deficient, her condition would improve within days of supplementing.
Alternatively, a simple blood test can show if she's deficient. Or you could make sure she has enough sun exposure, if practical.

There are adopted kids that had been starving in orphanages and the first visible consequence is that they are underweight. At a later stage, their growth is reduced. We know, for example a 9yo boy that looks like a 6yo. Once they've enough food, after they're adopted, their growth and weight catch up. So you should not worry if your daughter lost 1 or 2 lbs, she will catch up when the issues are solved. Of course you should be concerned and you are, I fully support you.

We don't really follow all Mercolas suggestions, definitely not his 'eat according to your nutrition type' idea; we stick to McDougall, and we are happy with it. I keep however an eye on his recommendations, as you have seen for fitness training, for health care; I discovered him because of his ideas on the dangers of vaccination. I think his ideas make also a lot of sense.
David
David Lux

Re: Gaining Weight

Postby David Lux » Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:11 am

We do find vit D in any pharmacy. Low dosage exists in drops, while the higher dosage like we use is in liquid form, prepackaged by 25000 UI units. In Luxembourg you need a prescription, but in Belgium (30 miles away), you don't need one.
We mix it with a bit of water and drink it. The taste is not bad for for kids, no problem, even for babies.
David
David Lux

Previous

Return to Family and Children