B12 Supplement and babies

Share your experience, challenges and success implementing the McDougall program with family and children.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

B12 Supplement and babies

Postby Julia » Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:08 pm

Could someone give me advice on B12 supplementation, please?

I am still only breastfeeding my 5 month old baby, but what when she starts on solids after 6 months and gets older, do I need to give her extra supplement? If so, what kind do you give your kids? The one I have in drops has alcohol in the ingredient, so I doN't know if that is a good thing. I ordered a vegan B12 from Amazon which is 1000 mcg a tablet, but it says not for kids under 12.

Would appreciate any help.
I live in Germany,so online B12s might be more helpful.

Thanks
julia
Julia

Re: B12 Supplement and babies

Postby stirFry » Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:22 pm

Here is what KellyMom has to say on the issue, although it doesn't quite answer your question. I'm curious to know what the correct answer is as well.

http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/vitam ... n-b12.html

Are you planning on continuing nursing (while introducing solids) until 2? That's what Jeff recommends to ensure your baby gets the right amount of Omega 3's.

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=18533
stirFry

Postby jamietwo » Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:38 pm

We breastfed through the toddler years, so it was a non-issue. :) We buy our b12 from iherb.com - you can get much smaller doses there too. Don't know if they ship to Germany though. Good luck!
Jamie
jamietwo

Postby Julia » Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:17 pm

thanks so much for your replies. I love this forum. It is always easy to find help. Yes I do plan to breastfeed her until she is two. Is the amount of B12 in the milk enough after 6 months until she is two or do I need to start supplementing then?

How often did you still breastfeed once your little ones were onto solids.

appreciate the advice. :P

Julia
Julia

Return to Family and Children