Stubborn 4 Year Old

Share your experience, challenges and success implementing the McDougall program with family and children.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Stubborn 4 Year Old

Postby Rechellef » Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:16 pm

I have 2 girls ages 7 and 4 (almost 5). The 7 year old is very active in gymnastics, so explaining the diet and it's benefits have been easy. She wants to be the best gymnast she can and she knows part of this is eating right, plus she's never been super picky. However, her sister is a whole different story and seems to fight me at every turn when trying a new food. The almond and coconut milks have gone over very well and any cereals are non-processed or made by me, but that's all she likes so far. I am able to get in whole wheat pasta with tomato sauce and sometimes sneak in a veggie burger in the sauce. There are times when she will take some carrot sticks or a sliced apple, but she always whines for cereal or a peanut butter sandwich. We have only been doing the diet for a little over 2 weeks, so I know it may take [a lot] longer for her, but I am trying to figure out ways to make it enjoyable for her as well. There is a lot of talk about food and its benefits in the house as well as some involvement in preparation and the girls can voice a choice in what they want so long as it's within the diet. Still, little sister is a tougher nut to crack.
Rechellef

Re: Stubborn 4 Year Old

Postby ♥ Amy ♥ » Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:45 pm

My 5 year old is the same way. Actually, probably much worse. I can't even convince him that french fries are made of potatoes, thus anything potato he would enjoy.

Good luck! I am trying the healthy eating and the why angle and so far its only working on me! :D
♥ Amy ♥

Postby Grammy Ginger » Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:43 pm

Rechellef wrote: seems to fight me at every turn when trying a new food

You will never win a fight with a four year old....ever. They don't care about nutrition; they care about Mac & Cheese. They are unreasonable, illogical, and strong willed. Logic and reason will come in time and we still talk to them. Eventually, they will listen to loving, gentleness. However, trying to break or bend the will of a child will cause division in the family and damaged relationships; everyone looses.

Children will eventually eat if left alone. Keep junk out of the house. Serve delicious, nutritious meals. Involve children in shopping, cooking, and clean up. Don't cajole children to try things. Don't shame or do the 'I told you' bit if they don't eat. Be firm and strong but very kind in your resolve. Eventually, children will eat things that appeal from the given choices and won't starve. They won't develop malnutrition even if the refusal to eat goes on for a few days or sporadically over quite some time.

But....the key is if the meal isn't eaten there are no other foods available until the next scheduled meal. 'The kitchen is closed," was my reply to the non-meal-eating culprit. I never understood the whole tyrannical, child, food thing. Instead I cooked what I believed was the most nutritious thing for my family and that was it.

I used this approach with my children. It worked like a charm. Each briefly tested me but eventually ate out of necessity. They are all adventurous eaters.
Grammy Ginger

Postby Lasko77 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:04 am

I agree don't make food into a fight. Otherwise it will always be a struggle. But, I am no expert. :)

What is wrong with giving her peanut butter and cereal? Confused on that. Dr. McD says to give children those things. I give my son those things. AS long as the peanut butter has not added oils, sugar or salt.
Lasko77

Postby Lasko77 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:05 am

http://www.forksoverknives.com/diet-chi ... he-future/

It sounds like you have not read this. I hope it helps to ease your mind.
Lasko77

Postby tangoviv » Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:30 am

I have an 11 year old and a 2.5. My 11 year old is overweight and has already high cholesterol and triglycerides and it is at a pre diabetic stage.
She was referred to an endocrinologist who was very cool and gave me 4 months for our whole family to change eating habits , after that if we did not make a good progress he will put her on medication.
She is not very overweight, she looks chubby but apparently her frame is not strong enough to the point that in May she had an emergency hip surgery because the growth plate on her hips was slipping, the ended up putting nails on both sides of her hips and now we are constantly watching her hip bone really closely to make sure it is receiving enough blood supply, she has a 30 % changes of needing a hip replacement by the end of 25.
I am telling you all these just to open your eyes so that you can see what bad eating habits can do to your kids.
I blame all these on my poor eating habits that I got from my parents but I will not pass them to my kids, so I cook GOOD food now and it they do not want to eat then too bad, that is what we have and "the kitchen is closed" until the next meal arrives.
They will get used to it and then it will be the only way they eat becasue SAD food will not be "food" to them.
I am reading the Starch solution now and every night at dinner I tell them a little fun fact about something that is nutrition related and they love it.
My 11 year old has become vegetarian, she is having a hard time giving up cheese on her pasta , so I allow her a little tinny bit, she is also having a hard time not eating any meat so I get some fish twice a week for her and m y husband and eventually I will wean them off. But she is enjoying the beans and potatoes and the soups.
My 2 year old is another story , he is having a hard time eating anything so I get him things like vegan corn dogs or hot dogs and he eats that, I make him pasta with marinara sauce ( loaded with brocooli, kale and carrots blended to be unnoticeable). I put a little bit of cocoa in his almond milk.
I also keep on the table some carrots, celery and apply and I notice that he is starting to grab some of those.
It will take time and patience but they are worth are efforts.
Well I am in a hurry writing this but it hopes it makes sense.

don;t give up ..this is the best education you can teach your kids

Viviana
10/05/12 current weight: 299
10/12/12 -3 current weight: 296 total lost: 3
10/19/12 -4 current weight: 293 total lost: 6
10/26/12 -5 current weight: 288 total lost: 11
11/02/12 -3 current weight: 285 total lost: 14
tangoviv

Postby ♥ Amy ♥ » Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:44 am

Wow Viviana - KUDOS to you - BIGTIME.
Great to hear what you are doing at home - but more than anything your post oooozed love to me. You are an awesome Mom!!
♥ Amy ♥

Postby tangoviv » Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:57 pm

Thanks Amy my kids are MY Life and getting my daughter to become a healthy person is my new mission in life
10/05/12 current weight: 299
10/12/12 -3 current weight: 296 total lost: 3
10/19/12 -4 current weight: 293 total lost: 6
10/26/12 -5 current weight: 288 total lost: 11
11/02/12 -3 current weight: 285 total lost: 14
tangoviv

Postby sjsilver » Sat Nov 29, 2014 7:18 pm

I sometimes have to prepare meals for my daughter's family, which include a 5 year old, 4 year old and a 1 year old. At first it was hard to make foods that they would eat. I often prepare vegetable type soups, which get served over rice. Kids love pasta. I find that if I add some pasta (whole wheat) to the soup, they will eat it. In fact they ask for it now when they come over.
sjsilver

Postby GievlosS » Fri Jan 02, 2015 7:45 pm

I started doing McDougall with my son when he was 5. When I explained that it meant no more ice cream or hot dogs, a sign appeared on his door: "No vegons Aloud!"

My sense is that if I pushed hard, he was going to push back--I might win some battles, but I would lose the war--he would go off to college and celebrate freedom by eating pizza and steak for the next four years--and who wants to spend meals arguing? Ugh. So he may order what he wants when we dine out and I am not the cook (but not dairy, because he reacts to it). He gets choices at meals... if he doesn't want to eat lentils with the grownups, he is offered plain chick peas on couscous, peanut butter on crackers, or something like that--but he does not get to *order* his meal. The chef decides the menu, if she has to cook two separate dishes, one of the dishes is going to be super simple, because this chef is lazy. He is not forced to eat anything he does not want... (I read that this is unhealthy, because it can teach kids to ignore their personal "you are full stop eating" signal). But he must try one bite.

At home, we take advantage of the fact that as a very lean child he can use more calorie-dense food than an adult; so he can have pasta, peanut butter, tofu (which he loves), nuts, and some of the "so delicious" products made with coconut milk such as "ice cream" (fortified with B12, which is good, because I haven't found a decent kid's B12 supplement). I also sometimes, rarely, as a treat, give him things made with Daya cheese (I know, it is TERRIBLE stuff) or Tofurkey. He also can have juice as an occasional treat, with no sugar added. He can have some dressing on his salad. He can have sandwiches.

The cookbook "The Happy Herbivore" has some nice recipes--easy--baked "french fries," banana bread, mushroom "gravy" and so on that are good and although not *strict* McDougall are on the right track (low in added fats, sugar, and processed ingredients).

One may also make a good case with a child who is tenderhearted, and loves animals. A little dose of ethical veganism, for the peace of the dinner table. Though one would not want a child to feel manipulated or deliberately create distress in a dependent; it does not set a good example of fairness, to upset someone with graphic descriptions who is, essentially, a captive audience. But the occasional gentle reminder that meat does come from a living creature not so different from our pets is helpful.

It also helps to have him help prepare the meal... choose the vegetable, make the salad, etc.

That's all I can think of. Good luck!
GievlosS

Postby Dougalling » Fri May 29, 2015 7:14 am

Hi

For the 4 year old, keep things simple.
Vegetable sticks with a red pepper hummus dip.
Cold rice with pineapple.
Spread some nutbutter on a tortilla, roll it around a banana.
Fruits.
Veg burgers are easy to make and have no added oil. They also freeze well.
Chili.
Hot rice with sweet peas and corn.
Corn on the cob.
There are plenty of wfpb 'cheese' sauces that are great for pasta, pizza, veg topping.
Tacos (made with crumbled veg burgers).
Potato salad (potatos, green onions, celery, yellow mustard).
Find simple things that your kid likes.
Dougalling

Return to Family and Children