Are all "animal products the same"

Share your experience, challenges and success implementing the McDougall program with family and children.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Are all "animal products the same"

Postby westluna25 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:34 pm

I just finished watching "forks over knives" and thought there was a lot of great information presented in the video. One question i was really hoping they would address, but never did, is the difference between grass fed and corn fed cattle and their by products. I am 25 years old and have lived and worked on a organic, cattle farm. We only have about 50 head on roughly 300 acres and my parents are always forwarding me articles about the benefits of grass fed over grain and corn fed red meat. I would just be curious to hear your thoughts on the difference and why you thought it was never mentioned in the movie. Thanks

West
westluna25

Re: Are all "animal products the same"

Postby jamietwo » Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:46 am

Even if grass-fed beef is better than corn-fed, it is still full of fat and cholesterol and has no fiber...
Jamie
jamietwo

Re: Are all "animal products the same"

Postby PineappleTraci » Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:21 am

I suppose we could also ask, "Are filtered cigarettes better than unfiltered?" :)

That's sounds a bit sarcastic (not meant in a snarky way), but seriously -- one of the joys of eliminating animal products is that we don't have to wonder (or care) about what kinds of horrors they are feeding the cattle.

Now, go onto some type of strength training / conditioning forum and you will see a lot of intelligent discussion on grass-fed beef vs. conventional -- probably not here though!
PineappleTraci

Return to Family and Children