Toddler Nutrition

Share your experience, challenges and success implementing the McDougall program with family and children.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Toddler Nutrition

Postby tturner224 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:01 pm

We went Plant Based when my son was about 8 months old. At that time, we switched him from cows milk formula to the hypoallergenic formula as my wife couldn't breastfeed.

Around 11 months we starting introducing plant based milk eventually settling on unsweetened hemp. Now that he is 13 months he eats organic plant baby food mixed with cereal(fortified oat cereal) and a variety of whole veggies and fruits. He also snacks on fortified cereals (regular cheerios) and organic graham crackers. I mix in a few teaspoons of flax meal in his morning and evening meals for omega 3's. He also drinks hemp milk with his lunch and right before bed.

I want to make sure he is getting everything he needs. I keep hearing and reading about how babies need "healthy fats". I guess I'm worried because I don't know if we are giving him enough fat in his diet. Does Dr. McDougall have a lecture or article about this topic. I know we are doing the right thing for him in the long run but I don't want to affect his development because we overlooked something early on. Do plant based children need supplements beyond B12 (which I think he is getting from fortified foods)? I've seen vegan DHA supplements at the health food store, are they helpfull/necessary?
tturner224

Re: Toddler Nutrition

Postby KensCircus » Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:21 pm

Nothing in life is more inhibiting or debilitating than the belief; “I Can’t.”
Nothing in life is more freeing, enabling or successful than the belief; “I Can.”
KensCircus

Postby jamietwo » Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:37 pm

Congratulations on going plant-based! We started when our son was an infant, and he's an active, healthy, bright teen now! He's also a very big proponent of this way of eating! :)

Ken posted a good article. The one I'm posting (also by Dr. McDougall) breaks childhood into age ranges. Keep in mind, he wrote it assuming the baby wouldn't be weaned until age 2, but I think it will still help.

http://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2012nl/sep/children.htm

(edited to add the link!)
Jamie
jamietwo

Postby glamanna » Thu Jun 26, 2014 2:36 pm

My granddaughter is 1 and my daughter is concerned that she is not getting enough protein, so she is supplementing her PBWF diet with a little fish and chicken. I understand kids need more protein as a % of food intake than adults, but this concerns me. She mentions that toddlers do not have a well developed intestine and that she needs the supplementation. I have told her that beans have enough protein as a % of weight and that they will provide the needed protein, but she does not buy it. Emma was breast fed exclusively for the first 6 months or so of her life and is in excellent health.

Would Dr. McDougall pls advise us?

Thanks very much,

Giuseppe
glamanna

Postby billabong6 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:54 am

Please Help!

I have a 16 month old who is allergic to nuts, diary, and soy. She is currently not having any formula or milk. Is this ok? Does she need it for her development?
billabong6

Postby topview. » Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:14 am

billabong6 wrote:Please Help!

I have a 16 month old who is allergic to nuts, diary, and soy. She is currently not having any formula or milk. Is this ok? Does she need it for her development?

I am not a doctor or anything, just a mother that was in the same place 12 years ago. My boy had severe eczema that flared up if he ate any of the top ten allergens + about 20 more things. I weaned him to carrot/veggie juice around 14mo. He ate lots of quiona and veggies and the beans he could tolerate. He never had formula or dairy and is now a lean, happy 13yr old. His food issues are mostly gone, though he does have seasonal allergies in the summer.

Two of my other children have had food issues, and none of them have had issues because of the lack of milk...

He did fine without formula/milk from 14mo. on, but I only have test cases of one severe and 2 milder...

Good luck and pm me if you want some support or help. It is a hard place to be.
Melanie
Meeting the needs of 6 small people - 5 boys & a little princess
The latest boy was born at home on Sept 17, 2013
Eating right to give them the best start
topview.

Return to Family and Children