Soymilk and children?

Share your experience, challenges and success implementing the McDougall program with family and children.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Soymilk and children?

Postby BethanyB » Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:31 pm

Hi. I have four small children (oldest is 5, youngest is 2). We are completely plant-based.

I saw a nutritionist to make sure I was feeding them adequately for their growing bodies, and she said I needed to give them more calories, even though I make sure they have foods like nuts and seeds, avocado, nut butters, and dried fruit daily to ensure proper calorie density and fats for growth.

She said I need to give them soymilk a couple of times a day at least rather than almond, rice milk etc bc it is the highest in fat, calories, etc.

But I know it is best to really only consume smaller amounts of fermented soy products, organic tofu, etc.

I'm stuck between giving them the calories/fat they need, and trying to avoid daily soymilk intake.

Is daily soymilk safe? (I wasn't too worried about it, however I began myself to have soymilk over granola and one or two cups of soymilk a day and I had two menstrual cycles in one month, which alarmed me as far as the estrogenic activity.)

Thanks for your input.
BethanyB

Re: Soymilk and children?

Postby jamietwo » Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:16 pm

Kids don't need milk after they wean from the breast. :) Let them drink water!

Here's what Dr. McDougall has to say about feeding kids:
http://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2012nl/sep/children.htm

Good luck!
Jamie
jamietwo

Postby BethanyB » Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:50 pm

Thank you, jamietwo.

I've read everything plant-based dr's write on feeding children including McDougall's, and theoretically I believe it. However I wrote a food diary on exactly what my kids were consuming for a 2 week period.

We are plant-based eaters, and my kids are not picky at all so they generally eat what I serve. Even with me feeding high-fat, high-calorie choices with meals, they are still not getting adequate calories for growth/development (as told to me by really good nutritionist) so the organic, non-GMO soymilk was highly recommended as necessary.

It seems to be a question of theory vs reality, maybe. Kids eat small amounts, so they need high calorie food. If you wipe out animal products, and also even plant-based milks, it seems very easy to be calorie-deficient.

Herein lies my problem.
BethanyB

Postby louie » Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:53 pm

I saw a nutritionist to make sure I was feeding them adequately for their growing bodies, and she said I needed to give them more calories,

just a question - what was her basis for saying that "you need to give them more calories"?? was she just basing this on a food journal, or did she actually weigh/measure them or do any other sort of tests?
louie

Postby louie » Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:57 pm

also, does she specialize in plant-based nutrition, or is she just a standard nutritionist? i only ask this because many nutritionists/dietitians can be very biased, and basically clueless when it comes to PB nutrition...
louie

Postby oregonmom » Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:16 pm

What was her reason behind saying they need more calories? Are the kids having any growth or development issues? If they are growing and developing normally, I personally wouldn't worry about it. If your kids aren't picky, they are likely getting better nutrition than most kids so you're ahead of the game.
oregonmom

Return to Family and Children