Question

Share your experience, challenges and success implementing the McDougall program with family and children.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Question

Postby rchevallier » Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:54 am

Here is my question. Are there studies showing that the following are linked to consuming animal proteins? What would be the mechanism?
• mercury (and lead) toxicity - refering to an increased immune response as measured by the MELISA test (not referring to toxic amounts in blood)
• food intolerances (including gluten intolerance)
• distressed gut(severe cramps and pain), mesentenric adenopathy, chronically high bilirubins
• decreased levels of DHEA, cortisol, and vitamins D,A,K
• migraines
• disabling chronic fatigue and impaired cognitive functioning following a strep infection
Here is my story. My 15 year old son - smart, sociable, slim and fit - suddenly got very ill with all of the above. He missed one year of school as a result. My nutritional background when it started in January 2013 was my father's experience with the Atkins diet in the seventies. At the time he was thrilled when thanks to it - so he said - he managed at 45 to solve all of his health issues - gut distress, migraines and chronic fatigue and then lived to be 90 (last 10 years with cancer and heart disease). After 4 months and a battery of tests performed on my son, the only medical doctor to offer an explanation (we live in Geneva/Switzerland) suggested to follow a paleo diet without cereals and milk products (plus cod/krill oil and DHEA supplements) as well as following a protocol to detox from mercury and lead. It helped solve in two months 90% of the gut distress and the migraines but did not solve the disabling chronic fatigue. This in turn was suddenly overcome to a large extent thanks to antibiotics. As a result he is now back in school which is good. He is however not as fit as before which is the reason why I am now wondering whether to switch to a vegan diet but I would need convincing reasons for him to accept to try. Sometimes food (not meat but eggs and others such as garlic)still make him really sick (he eats no processed foods). Sometimes he becomes abnormally exhausted is a matter of seconds. Something is still off but we (including the MD) don't seem to manage to pinpoint what. Answers to my initial question and any suggestions are welcome. Thanks, Rachel
rchevallier

Return to Family and Children