Toddler Eating Problems

Share your experience, challenges and success implementing the McDougall program with family and children.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Toddler Eating Problems

Postby Lasko77 » Mon May 05, 2014 7:47 am

I have tried everything with my three year old. He will not eat fruits or vegetables. I have been trying for 2 years and now we are in the midst of a major power struggle. I wrote to Dr. Fuhrman on his "ask the doctor" forum and he basically said I was harming my child. What does Dr. McDougall say about toddlers and green vegetable intake? My son loves potatoes, rice, pasta, bread, quinoa, beans etc....Basically he loves starchy foods. Does anyone know Dr. McDougalls input on this subject "a vegan toddler who does not eat vegetables or fruit."

****The only veggies he will eat are purees in those pouches, minced kale mixed into rice, roasted brussels sprouts, carrots from his grandmothers soup (only if I am not in the house)

****The only fruits he eats are purees in the pouches, freeze dried fruit from trader joes, and other dried fruits here and there. He has never had any fresh fruit except for a banana (about 5 times). He cries when I put fresh fruit near him and gets very angry.

TIA
Lasko77

Re: Toddler Eating Problems

Postby ANGELOJ » Mon May 05, 2014 11:13 am

OK, I'm no expert, but I have brought up three boys.
Here is my strap line (don't take it personally as I've been where you are). Kids do not have problems, parents do.

So my advice, relax. I've yet to see a child starve themselves, and from what you say he seems to be getting lots of good food - just not what YOU want him to eat.
Your say you are in a power struggle - so stop. He can't, he's just a toddler. So you need to take the action.
My advice based on my experience, don't worry, don't force it, he will come round. The stuff he does like has lots of vitamins and minerals.

Last thing, make sure you are not feeding him snacks just before meal times. If kids hit the dinner table hungry they tend to worry less about what is there and more about eating.

Good luck, I know it's hard and it is tough to let go of your anxieties, but please try. Your life and his life will be much better for it.
ANGELOJ

Postby Lasko77 » Tue May 06, 2014 6:29 am

Thank you so much for that response! Sometimes I just need someone to tell me to "CHILLAX!" I really appreciate the honesty. This is my first child and I am always worrying! You are right, I need to stop.

Thanks!!
Lasko77

Postby topview. » Sun May 11, 2014 12:30 pm

You are doing great! I have 5 boys... Nobody has starved or gotten rickets yet :) Any veggies are great. It sounds like you are doing fine, that is an impressive list of healthy foods. He is only 2 after all.

Pouches? Go for it. He gets the extra nutrients to make you feel better :).
Melanie
Meeting the needs of 6 small people - 5 boys & a little princess
The latest boy was born at home on Sept 17, 2013
Eating right to give them the best start
topview.

Postby Lasko77 » Tue May 13, 2014 6:24 am

Thank you, topview, you really made me feel good. :-D
Lasko77

Return to Family and Children