Dad with stomach cancer consumes nothing but Dairy

Share your experience, challenges and success implementing the McDougall program with family and children.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Dad with stomach cancer consumes nothing but Dairy

Postby emeliehalston » Thu May 22, 2014 10:11 pm

Hello,

My 74 year old father was diagnosed with stomach cancer in January of 2014 after months of increasing discomfort and increasing inability to consume food. After his diagnosis he had G-tube inserted so that he could be fed liquid meals via the tube as he was no longer able to eat normally due to his tumour blocking the way. For the past 6 months, my dad has consumed nothing except Boost shakes through his tube. As the tube is very thin, the only liquid that can pass has to be extremely smooth, there can be no grainy texture at all. He has been forced to go to the ER on several occasions over the last few months due to his tube being blocked.

After 5 weeks of radiation and 4.5 months of chemo, Doctors have found 2 more lumps...our family was devastated by the news that my fathers cancer had spread. Because of the cancer spreading, he will no longer be able to receive the surgery that doctors has intended to do this June to remove the stomach entirely, thus removing the source of cancer.

My greatest concern through this entire experience is that the Boost shakes are nothing but dairy and sugar and they are being sent directly to the cancer site. I feel that this could be making the cancer worse, but I know my dad needs to consume as many calories as he can get at the moment. He's already lost about 40 pounds since his diagnosis.

I've tried to find some kind of alternative, plant-based, calorie dense drink that would work in place of the boost shakes.

Does anyone have any ideas/suggestions/experiences that could help our family in this situation?
emeliehalston

Re: Dad with stomach cancer consumes nothing but Dairy

Postby jamietwo » Fri May 23, 2014 5:39 pm

I'm so sorry to hear about your father. I can understand your concerns about the dairy. I don't have any experience with the type of product you're looking for, but you might get more responses if you post this over in "health". There's not a lot of activity here.
Jamie
jamietwo

Return to Family and Children