Allergy relief from this WOE?

Share your experience, challenges and success implementing the McDougall program with family and children.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Allergy relief from this WOE?

Postby AnnGriff » Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:40 pm

Has anyone experienced allergy relief for their little ones on a WFPB diet? I'm asking because over the summer my six year old has developed pretty significant nasal drainage that causes her to have "wet coughs" and extremely snotty sneezes. She doesn't complain of itchy eyes nor any rashes, no wheezing either. When I finally decided to take her to her pediatrician he suggested a dust mite or cat allergy (we have cats and dogs) and wanted me to limit her exposure to our animals as well as the typical dust mite allergy stuff-limit stuffed animals-and wash them in hot water, hypoallergenic pillow and encase the mattress in plastic. He also wanted to try her on Zyrtec.

I do have her on Zyrtec currently but it doesn't seem to be helping even after we've cleaned her bedroom of dust mite attractors and limited her exposure to the animals. He said that we could also draw blood and/or do the allergy prick test. I'm torn about trying her on a strict WFPB diet and seeing if that helps or going ahead and try to figure our what her exact triggers are via the blood tests and limit exposure best I can from those results. I would like to get her off the Zyrtec if at all possible.

Has anyone else had to go through this? Up until now she's been very healthy and maybe been on antibiotics once or twice her entire life. I am concerned that with fall and winter coming up she will be more susceptible to the usual bugs and I would like to get a handle on this before she gets really sick.
Thank you,
Andrea
Andrea
AnnGriff

Re: Allergy relief from this WOE?

Postby Katydid » Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:10 am

I have terrible allergies to ...well, you name it. Outdoor allergies, dust mites, animal dander, smoke, perfume, feathers, mold. No amount of avoidance or allergy shot could help. This way of eating changed my life. Many things we think of as normal - milk, meat, fish, oils - increase inflammation in the body and put the autoimmune system into overdrive. While this WOE didn't get rid of my allergies - those changes are permenent - it calmed my immune system way down to where they no longer affect me. I can cut my own grass, camp in the woods, clean the house and - best of all - have a dog without sneezing, wheezing and popping antihistamines. See my Star McDougaller story below for further details.

Two things that really made a significant difference. The first was removing every trace of dairy from my diet. The milk protein casein is a major trigger for my allergies and asthma. I also had to remove all forms of gluten. This may not be necessary for everyone, but it made a big difference to me. Start with removing dairy - it isn't necessary and is easily replaced with commercial plant milks. That alone may be sufficient. Do a Google search for dairy and leaky gut syndrome for more info on food and autoimmune diseases.

Here is a good place to start:
http://doctorklaper.com/videos/curing-l ... -syndrome/

Good Luck.

Kate
Last edited by Katydid on Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
This diet can save your life - it saved mine! Read my story at:
http://www.drmcdougall.com/stars/cathy_stewart.htm
Katydid

Postby AnnGriff » Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:36 am

Thank you so much! I will do what you suggest and read up on the link you provided.
Andrea
AnnGriff

Postby Mrs. Doodlepunk » Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:06 pm

Ann, I can also affirm the dairy problems that Katydid mentions. My 17 year old Doodleman has been totally off of dairy for 8 days and his eczema is almost gone. He had one really bad patch that is so greatly improved I can't believe it. What he thought was a very long cold has also disappeared. :unibrow:

Beware though because casein is in many fake cheeses and other products like bread. You have to read labels even on stuff you are sure is fine because they change things sometimes.

Keep us posted!
It IS the food! :unibrow:
(... do these earrings make my butt look big?)
Mrs. Doodlepunk

Postby AnnGriff » Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:12 pm

I will keep you posted. Thank you!
Andrea
AnnGriff

Return to Family and Children