Fat intake while breastfeeding

Share your experience, challenges and success implementing the McDougall program with family and children.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Fat intake while breastfeeding

Postby sunnyb » Sat Oct 11, 2014 12:52 am

Hi,

I am pretty new to the starch solution and being on a vegan diet in general.
I am wondering if there is a special amount of fat intake for when you are breastfeeding. I know you require a bit more, but how much more? I really want to loose some weight but it is just not going off. I do eat fat sometimes because I read I need some more while nursing but not sure if this is correct.
I am bf my almost 6 month old. I was doing exercise but noticed I was loosing supply over this so I stopped and just count my walks with the kids. when I eat fat it is either nuts, coconut milk or avocado. I lost 10 kg after birth, then started doing RT4 and ended up gaining 5/6 kilos. Now I am fluctuating.
sunnyb

Re: Fat intake while breastfeeding

Postby Crider » Sat Oct 11, 2014 9:03 am

According to the US Institute of Medicine, the recommended daily intake of essential fatty acids for lactating women are 1.3 grams of Omega 3 fatty acid, and 13 grams of Omega 6 fatty acid. All other fats are made by our own bodies and need not be consumed in fattening, unhealthy food.

Coconut milk isn't a source of these fatty acids, and neither are avocados. Only walnuts are a good nut source of omega 3 fatty acids. Adequate fats are found in the normal food on the plan, especially leafy greens & grains. Also, people often add ground flax seed for its omega 3 fatty acids.
Crider

Re: Fat intake while breastfeeding

Postby ANGELOJ » Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:26 am

I also believe Chia seeds are a goods source of the Omegas
http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/nut ... cts/3061/2
ANGELOJ

Return to Family and Children