kids and milk

Share your experience, challenges and success implementing the McDougall program with family and children.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

kids and milk

Postby Flavia » Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:26 am

I have a 22 months old toddler who drinks 2 cups of organic whole milk every day. I'm reading about all the negatives of milk. My question is, does the same principle apply to kids and toddlers? Shall I stop my daughter from drinking milk altogether? How about alternatives? (tried soy, not a success so far). Thank you!
Flavia

Re: kids and milk

Postby ANGELOJ » Wed Nov 05, 2014 4:39 pm

While I'm not an expert, I think I've read enough to realise milk is bad for everyone.
You need to read the information and come to your own conclusion though.

As for alternatives, I guess the question is "what do you think is in the milk that your toddler needs that cant be got from other foods?"
Last edited by ANGELOJ on Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ANGELOJ

Postby ANGELOJ » Wed Nov 05, 2014 4:43 pm

ANGELOJ

Postby Flavia » Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:56 pm

Thanks for the reply and the information link!
Flavia

Postby StarchHEFP » Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:41 pm

Flavia wrote:Thanks for the reply and the information link!

At that age, no problem without dairy. Remember this quote from Dr. Benjamin Spock, the famous veteran pediatrician who lived until age 94: http://hpjmh.com/2011/04/19/no-cows-milk-for-humans-at-any-age-even-dr-spock-agrees/
”We now know that there are harmful effects of a meaty diet,” the book says. ”Children can get plenty of protein and iron from vegetables, beans and other plant foods that avoid the fat and cholesterol that are in animal products.” As for dairy foods, Dr. Spock says, ”I no longer recommend dairy products after the age of 2 years. Other calcium sources offer many advantages that dairy products do not have.”

As far as milk, I believe I introduced my twins to smoothies at around that age, I blended them with frozen bananas and strawberries, with soy milk. More recently, I have had mixed success with a 50-50 mixture of soy-rice milk and soy with almond milk. But they always drink the whole smoothie, and at least with a smoothie they are getting the best of everything - soy protein, berry antioxidants, and banana electrolytes and fruit sugars. Enough to get them going and start their day. Try from a sippy cup, regular cup or a straw. Forget milk altogether; easier to break the milk habit at age 22m than at 5 years old. Also a guide for childrens nutrition: http://support.pcrm.org/site/DocServer/Nutrition_for_Kids.pdf?docID=801

At that age, many kids become anemic because they are too hooked on milk, and end up being very picky eaters because of their milk addiction. Have good modeling, and eat together and enjoy and savor the fruits and veggies (and starches)

Dr. McDougall has some harsh words for people like the Dairy Council, and uses the words "child abuse" for them and several other companies:
https://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2012nl/apr/abuse.htm

I wish Dr. McDougall had a book about feeding children right. Maybe Dr. Craig McDougall will follow up with it. Until then, Dr. Fuhrman has written a book on mostly plant-based eating for children taking a "nutritarian approach".
StarchHEFP

Postby Flavia » Fri Nov 14, 2014 3:57 pm

Thank you so much for the reply and the information, StarchHEFP!
Flavia

Return to Family and Children