B12 dose for children

Share your experience, challenges and success implementing the McDougall program with family and children.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

B12 dose for children

Postby harvestmoon » Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:20 pm

Does anyone know what a suitable supplement dosage for children (7yrs and 10yrs) would be? I have some Freeda B12 lozenges (as cyanocobalamin) which are 50mcg, would these be ok to give? I live in Australia so there aren't many vegan options and my chances of finding something else is quite slim.
harvestmoon

Re: B12 dose for children

Postby GievlosS » Mon Jan 12, 2015 1:25 pm

I have struggled with the same problem, and I never did find the answer. I would hesitate to give B12 in the form of a lozenge... I have heard that it should be sort of thing that one squirts under the tongue so it is absorbed (I forget the technical term for this). If the daily dose for an adult is one squirt a day, maybe a child could have one squirt a week? But ... yikes. One does not like to experiment on one's children.

When I could not find the answer to this myself, I ended up making B12 fortified foods a regular part of my own child's diet. Here in the U.S. one can get "So Delicious" brand "yogurt" made with coconut milk. It is B12 fortified. There are also brands of nutritional yeast with B12 added (in fact, I had trouble finding a brand of nutritional yeast that was not fortified with anything). The "Happy Herbivore" vegan cookbooks have some great sauces and "gravy" made with nutritional yeast, also low in added fats and other things we don't want.
GievlosS

Postby f1jim » Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:34 pm

I'd ask our resident professional, Jeff Novick, over in his forum. He will give you a professional answer.
f1jijm
While adopting this diet and lifestyle program I have reversed my heart disease, high cholesterol, hypertension, and lost 54 lbs. You can follow my story at https://www.drmcdougall.com/james-brown/
f1jim

Postby Debbie » Sat Jan 24, 2015 4:43 pm

harvestmoon wrote:Does anyone know what a suitable supplement dosage for children (7yrs and 10yrs) would be? I have some Freeda B12 lozenges (as cyanocobalamin) which are 50mcg, would these be ok to give? I live in Australia so there aren't many vegan options and my chances of finding something else is quite slim.

Check here....viewtopic.php?p=43569#p43569
"It's the food" It's always been the food.
Debbie

Return to Family and Children