Starting a new journey

Share your experience, challenges and success implementing the McDougall program with family and children.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Starting a new journey

Postby jennilyn » Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:24 pm

Hello,
My daughter's pediatrician has suggested we change our diet to your plan for her which we have decided the whole family with begin this new journey with her.
Sadly she has many chronic illnesses and also Severe Persistant Asthma, allergies, and Atopic Dermatitis.
Is there any additional knowledge and things I should be aware of with a child? Also, the doctor did not mention starting her on a B12 but after reading your FQA I feel we all need to be on one. Do you recommend any particular kind?

Thank you for your attention in advance.
jennilyn

Re: Starting a new journey

Postby MikeyG » Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:24 am

Would you be kind enough to please share the name of your daughter's pediatrician?

I am sure many members of this community and those interested in the diet/lifestyle guidelines emphasized by Jeff Novick and John McDougall would love to know of the medical professionals in our communities who are endorsing these guidelines as well.

I wish you the best in your efforts, and I am confident that you have found the most evidence-based and generous resources in Jeff Novick and John McDougall. (I see Jeff has also responded to your inquiry on his board, and I would defer to his recommendations and judgment in all things diet/lifestyle, which is why I did not address your question.)

Congratulations on your discovery of these wonderful individuals and their recommendations :)

I hope you and anyone else reading this is having a fantastic day. :)
MikeyG

Postby jennilyn » Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:58 pm

Thank you so much for your reply. I am very blessed with an amazing team of doctors. We are part of the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia (CHOP) Care Network Pottstown, PA. The recommending doctor was Dr. Karen Bigelow in August when she saw my daughter for a follow up for HSP. My daughter's primary physician is Dr. Dorota Kaminski and supports Dr. Bigelow and has been very supportive.

Good luck to you and I look forward to our new journey with like minded individuals.

jen
jennilyn

Postby MikeyG » Fri Jan 30, 2015 6:55 pm

You're very welcome, Jen.

Thanks so much for sharing the wonderful health professionals that you have been fortunate enough to connect with with the rest of the community. I am sure all those who have encountered what you shared appreciate the insight at least as much as I do.

Good luck in your efforts. I think your daughter is very lucky to have such a dedicated family supporting her, and I hope that you all experience and enjoy all the evidence-based positive health outcomes that the optimal diet/lifestyle guidelines that Novick and McDougall recommend are typically associated with.

Jeff Novick and I had been involved in a discussion thread about compliance on an optimally healthy diet here that you may find valuable to review: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=44133&p=481064#p481064

Many individuals following this lifestyle seem to consider compliance to be their biggest challenge, especially concerning long-term compliance.

I have also assembled a primer of Novick's guidelines that I frequently share with loved ones, if you might find it a useful collection, too:
Primer of Jeff Novick, MS, RD's Recommendations for a Healthy Diet/Lifestyle (viewtopic.php?p=474530#p474530)

In the end, though, it seems a wealth of information can be gained simply by reviewing Novick's multitude of posts (5919 as of this moment) on the boards, as most issues have been thoroughly addressed and, as you have seen, Novick is also extremely responsive to and supportive of questions and inquiries from the community here.

Here are the search page results of a search for all posts that Jeff Novick, "JeffN", has made to date: search.php?keywords=&terms=all&author=JeffN&sc=1&sf=all&sr=posts&sk=t&sd=d&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search

As we can see from the page results page, we can "search these results" for whatever topic we are interested in. (Although, I believe that shorter words and more common phrases may result in difficulties searching, as they are typically omitted in the search protocol, if you ever have issues.)

The free resources assembled throughout Dr. McDougall's website are also incredible, as I believe Novick mentioned in his response to you. [Found here, for anyone having difficulty locating it: viewtopic.php?p=481061#p481061]

Dr. McDougall has also been kind enough to maintain a very extensive YouTube page, found here: https://www.youtube.com/user/drmcdougallmd/videos

McDougall has made many of his presentations available for free, although most of the presentations are based heavily on his free newsletters and articles, which often go into a bit more detail on the topics he presents, including in their references and citations to the resources he uses to form his opinions.

I hope you find the information at least as worthwhile as I have.

I wish you all the best in your efforts, and I hope you and anyone else reading this are having a wonderful day :)
MikeyG

Return to Family and Children