Vitamin D

Share your experience, challenges and success implementing the McDougall program with family and children.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Vitamin D

Postby ANGELOJ » Fri Nov 20, 2015 5:18 pm

Hi all,
We have a 6 month old daughter. We live in Washington so not much sun at this time of the year - although not none!
So far I have not been concerned with Vitamin D as we are out a lot in summer/fall and getting sunshine was not an issue. As winter draws in though I am wavering regarding the supplements.
I still get out in the sun when I can and baby is as exposed as can be in the cold (hands sometimes and face).
Everywhere I turn the pressure for supplementing is looming. Doctors press my wife and I on every check up, the nutritionist at the parent group I attend is painting a gloomy picture if we don't (though she is also drumming in meat and dairy in the diet so I'm not sure how seriously I can take her).

I've read Dr. McDs newsletters on this and they do encourage me not to supplement, but I still have a nagging doubt.

Any parents out there in climates like mine that could share their stories and what they did?
Would appreciate your thoughts

Cheers
ANGELOJ

Re: Vitamin D

Postby veliboic » Sat Nov 28, 2015 11:42 am

I am not a parent yet, but I live in the Pacific Northwest. I get outside on a daily basis, but when I had my vitamin D levels checked they were pretty low. Vitamin D supplements are recommended by some vegan nutritionists who otherwise do not recommend supplements (other than B12), so I take them.
veliboic

Re: Vitamin D

Postby ANGELOJ » Mon Nov 30, 2015 6:23 pm

thanks for that. I try to get Amy out in the sun as much as possible but its a challenge in the cold
ANGELOJ

Return to Family and Children