Constipation 15 month old

Share your experience, challenges and success implementing the McDougall program with family and children.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Constipation 15 month old

Postby jhodge » Sat Dec 19, 2015 12:36 pm

My little one is having tummy issues and to boot she has already been in the er due to her intestines getting stuck in her umbilical hernia that was due to straining when trying to go number two. I told the doctor her diet pretty much is made of fiber. Maybe not enogh water?

Diet breakdown (we are pretty consistant and eat the same rotation of foods. I dont think you need variety to be healthy.)

- 2/3 cup of oats (so 1.3 cups when cooked) with applesauce (i stopped applesauce thinking that could cause issues), 2 dates, 1/4 cup raisons or a whole banana (cut the banana out now too)

- Jam sandwich with a veggie like carrots or green beans and a banana (have not been consistant sith cutting out banana during lunch)

- pre-nap or pre-dinner to hold her over is 8oz of almond milk or hemp milk....I made the mistake of giving her sweetened almond milk and now she wont take my homemade hemp milk, even with a teaspoon of cane sugar. I might have to up the sugar and the. Slowly decrease it to what I would prefer her to have.

- whole potato (the small 100 cal ones) or half a sweet potato with green beans, brocoli or carrots and black beans.

She eats more starcg than veggies, I dont overload the veggies because to me providing more energy (calories) is more important since she is growing.

Anyway, any tweaks that might help? Is a full banana too much for her little body? If so, what can I use in place? Sometimes instead of a jam (very thin layer) I do an avocado or bean spread sandwich. I would LOVE to add in nut butters but am a little hesitant to...is 15 months too early for that?

I am also thinking that the bread may be the issue? Just because it is not homemade and is store bought? I cut almond milk out for a week thinking it was that but no luck. Suggestions would help. Thank you!
jhodge

Re: Constipation 15 month old

Postby jhodge » Sat Dec 19, 2015 1:17 pm

She also had 6 teeth cutting through skin at once, two of which are molars sooo idk if teething can mess things up...
jhodge

Postby MaureenR » Mon Dec 21, 2015 4:27 pm

Hi, even with a diet full of natural sources of fiber my son (who is 10 now) has always been slightly prone to constipation. For him, it usually comes down to not enough water intake. I find that if I get forgetful about having him drink at least a few cups of water a day he invariably starts to complain of a stomach ache, which means he is at least partially constipated.

Keep in mind that most of the commercial plant milks have supplemental calcium added (which might be a good thing) but I think can be constipating. I use unsweetened, unfortified soy milk for my son for his cereal or smoothies.

If I were you I would try my best to get lots of fluids into her in. If you can't get her to drink much more then maybe make the oatmeal more watery, puree the carrots into a soup, mash the potatoes with some water or plant milk, mash the beans with water, etc.

Good luck!
MaureenR

Postby Timaca » Mon Dec 21, 2015 7:30 pm

A probiotic made for infants may be helpful to her. Your local health food store will have some (powder form) in the refrigerated section.

Good luck!
Timaca

Postby jhodge » Tue Dec 22, 2015 7:54 am

Thank you both! I think it has been the water intake. I did add a 1:1 ratio of water to applejuice for a few days out of desperation and she SUCKED that down. Soon after she seemed to loosen up. Probiotics are always good to have on hand, I think I will get some. I was concerned that she did not seem interested in water but then I discovered that she prefers nice cold water, so I am trying to be more consistent with offering her cold water so that she will consume enough liquids.
jhodge

Postby beachkat » Fri Jun 17, 2016 4:40 am

Yes, probably not enough fluid/water. Will she eat prunes? They are really good for constipation as well as fresh plums.
beachkat

Return to Family and Children