Always hungry

Share your experience, challenges and success implementing the McDougall program with family and children.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Always hungry

Postby Miolsonbligh » Thu May 31, 2018 5:50 pm

My 12year old daughter is active-ish. She is a 3rd degree black belt in Taekwondo and is in hour long classes 6 times a week. Otherwise she is in school or sitting around. She is ALWAYS hungry. She weighs 171 lbs and is 5'1". The doctor says don't eat in front of the TV, eat fruit and veggies, drink water, family meals and 30 mins of exercise a day....we do all of this. I am considering going to plant-based eating but I am concerned she will want to eat more because she is "missing" her usual dairy and meat and sugar. If she is eating veggies and fruits mainly then she shouldn't be gaining weight, right. Her father and I have both had weightloss surgery. I was 232and 5'2" and her father had diabetes and high cholesterol. I want her to have a better life. She is not happy with her size and she works hard in Taekwondo. I want her to feel better and like what she sees in the mirror. Can plant based eating help?
Miolsonbligh

Re: Always hungry

Postby Lyndzie » Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:40 pm

Is she willing to try this out? At the age of 12, she has to be on board with it. Jeff raised his daughter on a plant-based diet and from what I understand she was very active and fit.

Maybe if you approach it from the perspective of nourishing her body to support her Taekwondo, she’ll jump into it. The great thing about this way if eating is that it is very satiating, and you can eat a decent volume of food for relatively few calories. If a pint of ice cream is 1000 calories, just think how many bowls of beans and rice you can can have for the same amount - it’s a ton of food.

You could just try it out for a month and see how it goes. PCRM has a podcast, and the host had gastric bypass and eats a plant-based diet. The latest episode is about raising vegan kids. I haven’t listened to it yet, but the info might help you with your decision. https://www.pcrm.org/podcast
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Re: Always hungry

Postby seattlebuddy » Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:20 am

I've recently read Breaking the Food Seduction - The Hidden Reasons Behind Food Cravings-- and 7 Steps to End Them Naturally By Neal Barnard because I always seem to be looking for food to snack on. The book helped me see how I can keep myself balanced and satisfied over the day to help reduce the "always hungry" feeling. See if it works for you. Kudos to her being a 3rd degree black belt in TKD! Impressive.
seattlebuddy

Return to Family and Children