Low WBC

Share your experience, challenges and success implementing the McDougall program with family and children.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Low WBC

Postby Jln » Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:32 am

My daughter has been plant based since conception. She turned 2 last month and had a routine blood test which came back with a low wbc count (4). Everything else was normal, I believe. At her 1 year visit wbc count was also low (3.9). It was redrawn two weeks later and we were told it was higher (not sure what level). Now her pediatrician wants to have it redrawn again in 6 months. Does anyone else have a plant based child with low wbc? She normally seems to get milder versions of colds (compared to her brother). But, she currently has a head cold, mild, but still has a runny nose 1 week into it. Should I be concerned?
She also keeps getting a spot of diaper rash. It goes away, but comes back often (usually when she’s been in a wet diaper too long).
I’m trying to do everything right, but it’s hard not to worry. :(
Jln

Re: Low WBC

Postby Lyndzie » Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:48 pm

Is white blood cell count something they usually test for? I don’t think my kids (ages 4 and 5) have been. Only iron and lead, if I remember correctly.

I’m sure you’ve googled it already. From what I understand, a low number is related to fighting infection, and isn’t dietary related. Keep on with the food.

My 4 year old used to get diaper rash all the time. She just has sensitive skin. Only thing that worked for her were different wipes, frequent diaper changes and coconut oil on the tush. You could also start potty training, can’t have diaper rash if there isn’t a diaper!

Also, runny noses are common, no need to worry. They are just building up their immune systems. It’s amazing they aren’t sick more often with the amount if stuff they put in heir mouths!

You are doing great. You obviously take their well-being very seriously, and are doing everything in your power to give them the best start in life. Keep it up, momma!
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Re: Low WBC

Postby Jln » Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:37 pm

Hi Lyndzie,

Thanks for your response!
I believe a CBC is pretty standard, but maybe it depends on the pediatrician. And maybe you didn’t know that they tested for it, if everything was normal.
Low WBC is related to fighting infection, but there have been two articles on nutrition facts.org related to low WBC and plant based diets, although it didn’t mention anything about children (only adults).
Here’s a link: https://nutritionfacts.org/video/what-i ... ell-count/

I was hoping other parents feeding mostly wfpb would have similar stories.

I know runny noses are normal, but I didnt think they normally last this long. I’m probably just on high alert now, because of the low wbc count.
I’ll try not to worry. Thanks again for your response!
Jln

Return to Family and Children