Reflux in 9-year-old son

Share your experience, challenges and success implementing the McDougall program with family and children.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Reflux in 9-year-old son

Postby Trinity » Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:27 pm

Hello,

This has been going on for awhile now so I finally decided to run it past you guys. My 9-year-old son, though he eats basically McDougall, does every so often eat a couple pieces of cheese pizza or a cheeseburger or a hot dog. It used to be that he would have to eat a LOT of non-compliant food (for example, at grandma's house) to have tummy troubles later in the evening. More recently however, it takes much less. A couple weeks ago, for example, he had a school festival where he ate a chicken sandwich (otherwise plain, just chicken that was possibly fried, and a bun) for lunch and then a single piece of cheese pizza for dinner (thanks to dad). The typical thing is that he wakes up in the night and has to go "#2" in the bathroom, and before or afterward he vomits up a bit of the food, but it's really only a little bit of vomit and sometimes it's only clear (acid? saliva?). Sorry for the TMI.

Long story short, a nurse suggested that he might have reflux, and that he may need medication because the esophagus doesn't have the buffer that the stomach has, and could be eroded, etc. etc. I'm going to have to talk to his pediatrician about it. What's frustrating to me, of course, that I KNOW that if he NEVER ate non-McDougall he wouldn't have this problem in the first place.

Anyways, I just wanted to see if anyone else had this type of issue with their kids. Thanks for your time.

Trinity
Trinity

Re: Reflux in 9-year-old son

Postby Lyndzie » Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:36 pm

I’m no nurse, but the vomiting makes me think food allergy. Definitely worth a talk with the pediatrician. Or, simply too much greasy food. Maybe a case of McDougall’s Revenge?

Good luck with the kiddo. (Grandma’s house is similar for us, too.)
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Return to Family and Children