Early puberty?

Share your experience, challenges and success implementing the McDougall program with family and children.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Early puberty?

Postby mpt79 » Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:00 am

My oldest daughter just turned 10 a few weeks ago. I was vegetarian when pregnant with her and became fully plant based when she was about 1 1/2 years old, which means she did too. She's never eaten meat, and has not had any dairy or eggs since around 1 1/2 years old.

She just shared with me that she has developed pubic hair. I've noticed her breasts growing for maybe six or seven months now and she's had to wear a "training" bra and her body has been looking more curvy. But the pubic hair sent me into a panic.
I don't understand because I've always been so sure she'd be good till at least 14 because of her diet. She's also extremely fit and athletic, a junior lifeguard and competitive swimmer. She's thin and tall for her age.

Is there something wrong? I'm just really confused. Can anyone offer any educated opinion on the matter?

Thank you in advance.
A very concerned mother
mpt79

Re: Early puberty?

Postby Lyndzie » Wed Apr 24, 2019 3:44 pm

Maybe this info will be of help? https://pediatrics.aappublications.org/ ... /110/4/752

It appears that different racial groups have different ages for puberty, and that public hair and breast development seem to precede menarche by around two years. Also, according to this study the average age for puberty onset was 9.5-10.5 years old across all races.

I guess another thought would be when things changed for you. A call to the pediatrician might be helpful.

(Side note: my mom jokingly mentioned yesterday that kids suddenly want privacy when getting dressed around the age of ten. Coincidence?)
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby mpt79 » Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:38 pm

Lyndzie,

Thank you so much for taking the time to help me breathe! :)

I didn't see this kind of thing till I was at least 12. But I'm from mostly Irish and German descent and my husband is Spanish (from Spain). He told me he had a full beard at about 12! :) I did talk to her doctor who is from Egypt and she told me that she had her perior by age 11, along with everyone else in her class except for one girl who was half Dutch. Her point was my daughter is on point with girls from Mediterranean descent.

I guess I just thought I'd see a significant delay in puberty because of raising her vegan. Seems like a lot of the doctors who write about the benefits of a whole-foods, plant-based diet cite later puberty ages in societies that are traditionally mostly plant based. Many of these girls have an average of 14-16 and I thought that would be what I would see in my daughters.

So I was super surprised (and blindsided) by my daughter showing signs of puberty just after having turned 10. (Not to mention I cried my eyes out that she wasn't my little girl anymore:).

I suppose as wonderful as this lifestyle is, it can't keep my kids from growing up!! :)

Thank you again!
Tina
mpt79

Postby sirdle » Thu Apr 25, 2019 3:20 pm

mpt79 wrote:I didn't see this kind of thing till I was at least 12. But I'm from mostly Irish and German descent and my husband is Spanish (from Spain). He told me he had a full beard at about 12! :) I did talk to her doctor who is from Egypt and she told me that she had her perior by age 11, along with everyone else in her class except for one girl who was half Dutch. Her point was my daughter is on point with girls from Mediterranean descent.

I guess I just thought I'd see a significant delay in puberty because of raising her vegan. Seems like a lot of the doctors who write about the benefits of a whole-foods, plant-based diet cite later puberty ages in societies that are traditionally mostly plant based. Many of these girls have an average of 14-16 and I thought that would be what I would see in my daughters.

So I was super surprised (and blindsided) by my daughter showing signs of puberty just after having turned 10. (Not to mention I cried my eyes out that she wasn't my little girl anymore:).

I suppose as wonderful as this lifestyle is, it can't keep my kids from growing up!! :)

This surprised me, too. I had read that the average age of puberty in America has dropped 4-5 years over the last century and that the drop was caused by growth hormones given to cattle which found their way into the food supply (via dairy and meat)...

... but apparently that's not true at all.

Cheers, :-P
"Before Enlightenment chop wood, carry water. After Enlightenment chop wood, carry water." -- Zen proverb
sirdle

Postby Lyndzie » Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:44 pm

Tina, I have three young daughters, so I can only imagine what it will be like to cross that bridge! I’m from Scottish/German/French, and matured around 12-14 also. She’s so fortunate to have such a loving and caring mom!
Lindsey
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby viv » Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:08 am

Onset of puberty is triggered by reaching a weight of 100 lbs. Approx two years later periods begin. Get ready for those Spanish genes!!

Viv
5'8", Started March 2013
Starting weight: 217
Current weight: 157
60lbs gone--for good!
viv

Postby Lyndzie » Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:14 pm

viv wrote:Onset of puberty is triggered by reaching a weight of 100 lbs. Approx two years later periods begin. Get ready for those Spanish genes!!

Viv

I have not heard that before. I weighed 82 lbs at menarche.

Interestingly, I came across this video earlier, it’s Dr. McDougall’s take on early puberty. https://youtu.be/Rtnm4tw6buU
Lindsey
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby Willijan » Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:40 am

Lyndzie wrote:Maybe this info will be of help? https://pediatrics.aappublications.org/ ... /110/4/752

It appears that different racial groups have different ages for puberty, and that public hair and breast development seem to precede menarche by around two years. Also, according to this study the average age for puberty onset was 9.5-10.5 years old across all races.

I guess another thought would be when things changed for you. A call to the pediatrician might be helpful.

(Side note: my mom jokingly mentioned yesterday that kids suddenly want privacy when getting dressed around the age of ten. Coincidence?)

The research in the above link doesn't make clear whether the differences between racial groups are due to genetics or to differences in lifestyle, specifically diet.

As far as the question from the original poster, perhaps there are other environmental sources of hormone-influencing chemicals other than food, such as plastics or other consumer/industrial products, that may have influenced her daughter's time of onset of puberty, if it isn't caused by genetics.
Willijan

Postby Mrs Sunny » Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:02 pm

mpt79 wrote: I did talk to her doctor who is from Egypt and she told me that she had her perior by age 11, along with everyone else in her class except for one girl who was half Dutch.

Somehow interesting. I am half Dutch myself and I was the first girl in class back then at age 12. But, in relation to the original post, the Italian and Turkish girls from my class started to grow pubic or body hair in general already at age 8 to 9. Over the past years the daughters from friends or co-workers or even my own nieces were all quite early from what I heard. Early pubic hair, early period.
Mrs Sunny

Postby Mrs Sunny » Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:03 pm

Mrs Sunny wrote:
mpt79 wrote: I did talk to her doctor who is from Egypt and she told me that she had her perior by age 11, along with everyone else in her class except for one girl who was half Dutch.

Somehow interesting. I am half Dutch myself and I was the first girl in class back then at age 12. But, in relation to the original post, the Italian and Turkish girls from my class started to grow pubic or body hair in general already at age 8 to 9. Over the past years the daughters from friends or co-workers or even my own nieces were all quite early from what I've heard. Early pubic hair, early period.
Mrs Sunny

Return to Family and Children