Getting sulfur taste without salt

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Getting sulfur taste without salt

Postby islandcat » Wed Jun 01, 2022 7:34 am

I have been making mock tuna salad with beans, using kala namak for the sulfur taste. However, now I need to ditch the salt in my diet. How can I get that eggy taste without the salt?
islandcat

Re: Getting sulfur taste without salt

Postby AlicefromBelgium » Sat Jun 04, 2022 2:28 pm

Hello,

I am not sure I have the knowledge to reply BUT today I happened to listen to a chapter of The starch solution book on salt and sugar.

I was quite anxious about salt because I love adding it to my food (or coco aminos bu then it is also salt). And in this chapter they say that it is not such a big deal adding salt as long as you eat non-processed plant-based foods !
What a relief.

So anyway I guess it means you could use salt ?

I love the tuna salad from "forks over knives" but it is with tahini which is a high fat ingredient. What is your recipe ?
AlicefromBelgium

Postby ch47gunnergirl » Fri Jul 15, 2022 4:09 pm

Maybe dried and powdered (previously cooked) green cabbage or cauliflower? I know with leftover mashed cauliflower (just boiled in water and blended with a little cooking water) the sulfur smell is strong. So maybe if you just used a little previously cooked and blended cauliflower (without drying and pounding to a powder) it would work too.
ch47gunnergirl

Postby Jan Tz » Fri Aug 19, 2022 2:47 pm

Try a little stoneground mustard.
Jan Tz

Postby barryoilbegone » Tue Aug 23, 2022 5:06 pm

Try kala namak - Indian black salt. Has a strong distilled sulphur taste, and can induce flavour of eggs. It's very effective, and you only need small amounts too.
"All people are made alike - of bones and flesh and dinner. Only the dinners are different.”

Gertrude Louise Cheney
barryoilbegone

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning