Corn confusion

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Corn confusion

Postby FatKat » Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:49 am

Hello everone. I have a question about corn. In my grandparent's day, corn was given to the pigs to fatten them up and thought of as non-people food. I love corn and do eat it but I am curious as to why it is on the program but in the old days thought of as a fattening food. Is it a different variety of corn?
FatKat

Re: Corn confusion

Postby Trinity » Tue Aug 09, 2022 2:16 pm

Our bodies are different. The corn humans eat will make you thin! Just don’t put any butter on it. :-D

This is from The Starch Solution:

Turning sugars into fats is a process called de novo lipogenesis. Pigs and cows use this process to convert carbohydrates from grains and grasses into calorie-dense fats…We humans, on the other hand, are very inefficient at converting carbohydrate to fat; we don’t do it under normal conditions.

The references are 6-15 and you can find them in the footnotes of the book.
Trinity

Postby Chumly » Wed Aug 10, 2022 6:08 am

Corn is a fattening food for livestock. It is much higher in calorie density than the grass cows eat. I don't know the diet of pigs is in their natural environment, but it probably is fairly calorie dense in relation to the other foods they eat. Corn is around 400 calories per pound, so it's low in calorie density compared to other foods in our diet.

Michael
Chumly

Postby FatKat » Wed Aug 10, 2022 3:01 pm

Thank to all who replied. Corn is good lol :P
FatKat

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning