Made the black bean sloppy joes tonight...yum!

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Made the black bean sloppy joes tonight...yum!

Postby SandyW » Sat Oct 21, 2006 5:30 pm

I didn't tell my husband exactly what I was making...when he walked into the kitchen he said "That smells good" and I just said it's a new recipe for sloppy joes...then when it was time to eat, he scarfed down two of them right away and said how good it was and never asked anything about them...not even where the meat was!! This was the first time I made these and I agree, they were very good. The next recipe I plan to try is the potato/cabbage soup. I know my husband won't want to give up meat, but there are many things I know he'll eat and like, so who knows...maybe he'll convert over time!
SandyW
_______
"I will not eat anything that walks, runs, skips, hops or crawls. God knows that I've crawled on occasion, and I'm glad that no one ate me." -----Alex Poulos
SandyW

Postby Mrs. Doodlepunk » Sat Oct 21, 2006 6:29 pm

Was this the recipe from the QandE cookbook?
It IS the food! :unibrow:
(... do these earrings make my butt look big?)
Mrs. Doodlepunk

Postby SandyW » Sat Oct 21, 2006 7:33 pm

Yes, it was...found it on the old boards. That is one of the books that is on it's way to me...can't wait to get them.
SandyW
_______
"I will not eat anything that walks, runs, skips, hops or crawls. God knows that I've crawled on occasion, and I'm glad that no one ate me." -----Alex Poulos
SandyW

Postby Jan Tz » Sun Oct 22, 2006 7:29 am

Do you think that recipe would taste just as good without the soy sauce in it?
Jan Tz

Postby SandyW » Sun Oct 22, 2006 9:08 am

I have no idea how much it would change a recipe to leave out one ingredient like the soy sauce. Maybe someone else will be along that has done so and will let you know. I wouldn't think it would make that much of a difference if it's something you really would rather not use in the recipe.
SandyW
_______
SandyW

Soy Sauce

Postby serenity » Sun Oct 22, 2006 2:49 pm

Hi Jan -
I think that most of the McDougall recipes call for soy sauce instead of salt because you can buy reduced sodium soy sauce. I don't care for it in many of the recipes and simply use salt. I think you can skip the soy sauce with no problem.
serenity

Postby ginamarie » Mon Oct 23, 2006 6:21 am

Sounds GREAT! I need to get my book out and try this!!! Thanks for posting!
ginamarie

Postby Bri » Mon Oct 23, 2006 5:53 pm

This recipe has been on my to make list, which I did tonight since I'm running out of soup.

It was delicious! Definitely going to be a repeat.

Jan-

I don't like soy sauce and usually omit it from recipes. I did that on this one and increased the mustard to 1 1/2 tablespoons since I know I like mustard and wanted to make sure I had a flavor I recognized. It was still good.
Bri

McDougalling for both health and weight loss
Bri

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning