Tofu Sour Creme

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Tofu Sour Creme

Postby Jan Tz » Mon Oct 23, 2006 7:38 am

Tofu Sour Creme from the August, 2002 McDougall Newsletter

1 box soft silken tofu
2 and 1/2 Tbs. lemon juice
2 and 1/2 tsp. sugar
dash salt

Blend until smooth and creamy. Store in covered container in the fridge for 7 to 10 days. Stir before using.
Jan Tz

Postby SandyW » Mon Oct 23, 2006 8:04 am

Thanks, Jan...I was looking for something like that...BUT, now don't laugh...like I said, I'm new to all of this and have NEVER even tried tofu. It scares the heck out of me...LOL. I had a package in my hand one day and was going to buy it, but for some reason or other just couldn't. A lot of recipes call for it, so maybe to give it my first try I will use this recipe.
SandyW
_______
"I will not eat anything that walks, runs, skips, hops or crawls. God knows that I've crawled on occasion, and I'm glad that no one ate me." -----Alex Poulos
SandyW

Postby tiranda » Mon Oct 23, 2006 10:50 am

SandyW wrote:I'm new to all of this and have NEVER even tried tofu. It scares the heck out of me...LOL. I had a package in my hand one day and was going to buy it, but for some reason or other just couldn't.

Oh, I know the feeling, I'm sure many of us do. It took me a month or so of looking at the boxes and saying, well, next time, and then when I bought it I would look at it in the cupboard (thank goodness I bought the asceptic packages) and think well, not tonight. But when you have tried it once it gets easier and with more practice you get the hang of it. Once I decided to just COOK WITH IT, it got easier. It was like practiciing baking or pancakes.

Please let us know what you think when you've tried it! This is a pretty simple recipe so it should be easy for a first shot. No marinating or anything complicated like that.
"The 80% is percentage of calories, by the way, and is not a volume measure. McDougallers are supposed to be eating lots of vegetables." - Pumpkin
tiranda

Postby Mrs. Doodlepunk » Mon Oct 23, 2006 11:36 am

Jan, would this be a whole pound of tofu? I'm nervous about trying anything other than my favorite cheesy dressing, but I'm headed out later and will get some more tofu to try this.

Does it work to use the low fat stuff for this?
It IS the food! :unibrow:
(... do these earrings make my butt look big?)
Mrs. Doodlepunk

Postby Jan Tz » Mon Oct 23, 2006 5:47 pm

Silken tofu, whether lite or regular, comes in the little asceptic "brick" box. They weigh maybe 12 ounces, I think, not a whole pound. The recipe calls for a whole box. If you have less, then figure out how much you have and adjust the other ingredients accordingly.

You might find, though, that trying to process a partial recipe in your blender will be difficult.

I like to use this on top of a baked potato, with some chives if I have them. But probably my favorite thing is to mix with salsa and beans and rice and fill a burrito.
Jan Tz

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning